Q & A with sophomore guard Jeremiah Wise

By Courtney Linehan

Jeremiah Wise is a sophomore guard who transferred to Illinois this season after playing at Indiana State in 2005-06. Wise saw three starts last season for the Sycamores. The Maywood, Ill.,-native played with Brian Carlwell at Proviso East High School. He is sitting out this season per NCAA regulations. He talked to the DI on Saturday following Illinois’ victory against Bradley.

Question: This was your first time actually being in the stands instead of on the bench. Is that a weird feeling?

Answer: Yeah, it’s a much weirder feeling, you really feel like you’re just a spectator then, you definitely don’t feel like a part of the team anymore. But those are the rules and I have to abide bythem.

Q: Since we don’t get to see you in games this year, what current Illini player would you say your style is most like?

A: I’d say Jamar’s. Just a hard-nosed player, go out, leave it all on the floor. A sharp-shooter. Just give everything you have for the team, whether you’re hurt or not – playing through everything.

Q: You were high school teammates with Brian Carlwell. Tell me something nobody knows about him.

A: About Brian? He’s a really silly guy. He likes to tell jokes all the time, he’s not the shy type. And he can dance. He’s a 7-footer, but he has rhythm.

Q: You, Brian, Dee Brown, and now Demetri McCamey all came from the same area, the near-West suburbs. Can you make an argument for that area being the new Peoria pipeline?

A: We’ve always had guys looking to stay in-state from our area, following in Dee’s footsteps. Coming from the West side of the city, guys have always wanted to come to Illinois.

I would say we’re trying to do the same thing as Peoria, and keep a lot of our guys in-state, to maintain the winning tradition going with this program.

Q: You were chosen as Proviso East’s Homecoming king. Do you still have your crown?

A: Haha, yeah, I still have it.

Q: What was your favorite memory of being king?

A: Probably the parade – just getting to go around the neighborhood, having everyone out supporting us, watching us go down the street. It was a lot of fun. I was just thankful when they called my name; I was happy to be there.

Q: Did you think somebody else would get it?

A: Yeah, me and my best friend were up for it, and I thought he would win it. So it was a surprise for me.

Q: You wore No.21 at Indiana State but went back to your high school number, No.5, this year. Any reason you chose that number?

A: Yeah, I had been No. 5 since I first started playing basketball. It just symbolizes me being the fifth-born child in my family, the youngest. I’m the last. Save the best for last.

Q: If you could take one current Illinois athlete from another sport and add him or her to the basketball team, whom would you put on your team?

A: I’d have to go with one of my friends, Nick Brown, from the track team. … I played with him at Proviso East, and he can play. But … track was his sport.