Q and A with C.J. Jackson

Q and A with C.J. Jackson

By Courtney Linehan

C.J. Jackson is a redshirt freshman forward for the Illinois basketball team. The Buena Vista, Ga., native played four years of varsity football and basketball in high school and was a top recruit as an offensive lineman.

Jackson sat out last season but is now settling into his first season of eligibility.

Last week he took time before practice to talk to the Daily Illini about everything from Illinois’ post play to life after dorm food.

Question: So how’s not sitting out this year?

Answer: Great. It’s always good to play now and then; it’s definitely different from knowing you’re not going to play.

Q: Are you still glad you chose to play basketball in college instead of football?

A: Oh yeah, most definitely. I never had a doubt in my mind; this is what I wanted to do, what I love to do. And I’m working hard to do it.

Q: What do you see as the biggest thing Illinois’ post players need to work on this season?

A: We need to crash the boards more. I think we’re so big and so strong on the inside we can pretty much own everybody on the floor, as long as we post up.

We need to know who our scorers are, have everybody do their role and help the guards do the same thing.

Q: If Illinois had a secret weapon, who would you say it is?

A: I would say Trent, just because he didn’t play at all last year, but he’s already had a couple 20-point games.

He’s a great shooter, but people don’t expect him to be.

He worked all summer and can do it.

Q: How does your football experience make you a better basketball player?

A: Just being physical. I lift weights, I’m the strongest guy on the team right now.

I can bring a physical presence; I have a real low base, a real strong balance right now.

That kind of stuff helps me. It helps me be on the blocks, get the rebounds.

Q: This is your first year living in an apartment. What do you miss most about the dorms?

A: Probably the meal plan. You didn’t have to pay for food and you could just go eat three meals a day if you wanted to.

Now we have to cook our own food, go get our own food and everything like that.

Q: Are you learning how to cook?

A: Yeah, I’ve known how to cook for a while, but eating dorm food for a year, I had to relearn it all.

Q: Who’s the best cook on the team?

A: I don’t know, in my apartment we’ve got some real good cooks.

Brian Randle is one of the best. Warren Carter makes everything.

Every so often, everybody will cook for the apartment.

Q: Does anybody have a specialty?

A: Everybody loves chicken, but we all have our own special way of making it.

Brian grills it real well, Warren does chicken and pasta real well.

Stuff like that.

That’s kind of our main meat in the house.

Q: Whose is the best?

A: Aw, that’s hard to say. I don’t want to pick a favorite because then somebody will stop cooking for me.

So I’ve got to say everybody’s is good.