Team honors seniors, MVPs at football banquet

By Courtney Linehan

The 2006 Illini football team assembled for the last time Saturday, holding its annual postseason banquet at the Illini Union. The event recognized Illinois’ 15 seniors and awarded 17 honors to the team’s top players.

“It’s to honor the individuals who deserve to be honored, but more importantly, to honor the seniors,” coach Ron Zook said afterward. “This group is especially special to me because they fought through adversity, they hung tough, they did a great job in recruiting. I’m so happy and proud for them.”

Players chose linebacker J Leman, who Sports Illustrated named an honorable mention All-American on Friday, as the team’s Most Valuable Player. Leman led the Big Ten in total tackles this season, twice earning recognition as the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week and being chosen as first-team all-conference.

“Any time your teammates say ‘You were the guy we most needed,’ that’s important to you,” Leman said. “Instead of the coaches making all the decisions, this is your teammates.”

Leman said his vote went to two-time MVP Pierre Thomas. Thomas, who finished his career at Illinois sixth on the career-rushing list and first in career kick-off return yardage, was honored as Illinois’ outstanding offensive back and as a season team captain.

The night’s primary purpose, Zook said, was to recognize players like Thomas, who had completed their careers at Illinois.

The seniors sat at a head table, places marked by their game-day jerseys, and were recognized in a video tribute.

“The tradition I’m leaving and the fact that I’ve made it five years through this is just something I’ll always remember,” senior quarterback Tim Brasic said. “The friends I’ve made, the memories I have are the true things you take away from football.

“You stop seeing the guys, you’re not lifting or practicing anymore, then you come back and realize this is it. I’m never going to be in a room with these guys any more, never going to be on this team again.”

This was the 106th year for the annual banquet, which for 88 years has been sponsored by the Champaign Rotary Club.

The night’s guest speaker was former All-American and All-Big Ten fullback Howard Griffith, and former Illini Kyle Kleckner and Ryan Matha also returned for the dinner.

Several Illinois recruits, in town for their official visits, also attended the season-end celebration.

“They get a chance, an opportunity to see what the true Illini spirit is all about,” Zook said. “There is a closeness. They hear me talk about the people all the time, how it’s all about people, but here they get a chance to see that, gosh, this is a close-knit group.”

Rookies of the Year Davis, Williams commend each other

Cornerback Vontae Davis and quarterback Juice Williams shared honors as the 2006 Rookie of the Year. Davis, a first-team freshman All-American, finished the season with 52 tackles, while Williams broke Illinois records for freshman passing yards and season and career rushing yards by a quarterback.

After Saturday’s banquet, each player talked to the Daily Illini about why the other deserved Rookie of the Year recognition:

Williams on what makes Davis an asset to the defense:

“Vontae had a great season this year. He came out and locked down some of the best receivers in the nation – he produced. He was a leader out there, even though he’s just 18, 19 years old. He came out and played with the biggest heart. He was very supportive of his teammates and did his thing.”

Davis on what Williams brings to the team:

“Well his big head for one thing. He has all the tangibles – the little stuff people work on. He’s got the strongest arm I’ve seen since I was born. For an 18 year-old, he’s throwing now like a quarterback in the NFL. With his arm and his gifted abilities, you can see how he’ll turn out in the future.”