Illini beat Belmont despite turnovers

Brad Vest The Daily Illini Illinois’ Shaun Pruitt dunks the ball during the second half of Sunday’s game versus Belmont at Assembly hall, December 17, 2006. Pruitt finished the game with 13 points and 4 rebounds helping push the Illini over Belmont 77-51.

By Courtney Linehan

The Illini turned the ball over a season-high 22 times Sunday night but used a big second-half comeback to top the Belmont Bruins 77-51 at Assembly Hall.

Warren Carter had a team-high 21 points as Illinois played what coach Bruce Weber hinted amounted to a warm-up before facing Missouri for the annual Braggin’ Rights game on Tuesday.

“Coach tries to focus on how these pre-conference games are huge for NCAA season, so it’s important for us to … get some runs going into the Big Ten,” forward Brian Randle said after the game.

The Illini started the game strong, led by Carter, who scored the team’s first seven points. But Belmont did not give up early and came within three points four times throughout the first half.

Illinois’ biggest worry going into the break was its turnovers. The Illini had 11 turnovers after 20 minutes and finished the game with 22 turnovers, with Carter, Chester Frazier and Jamar Smith causing 12 of those turnovers. Still, the Illini came back strong in the second half, quickly building a 20-point lead. From there they built it to nearly 30 points before settling into a slower rhythm with the victory secured.

Weber attributed the second-half success to Illinois’ defensive effort. The Illini held the Bruins to just 10 points over 14 minutes, creating problems for a Belmont team desperate to score.

“I was disappointed in our competitiveness today,” Belmont coach Rick Byrd said. “I felt like we took a step back in terms of want-to. Thought they came out in the second half wanting to take things away from us, and we let them.”

The Illini’s problems with ball control raised concern for Weber, who said Belmont isn’t a team known for pressuring. He added that if the Illini can’t hold onto the ball against the Bruins, there is reason to worry as they will face tough defense from Mizzou on Tuesday.

“I’ve been told if we stay around 20 against Missouri, we’re going to be in good shape,” Weber said. “We’re going to have to do a much better time of taking care of the basketball.”

The Illini must now focus solely on preparing for a Braggin’ Rights contest that, for the first time in recent years, does not seem like an easy win.

“We’ve all been there before,” Frazier said. “Our fans look forward to it, so we just want to come out and win.”

—————————————-

Slideshow Captions & Credit:

1. Illinois’ head coach, Bruce Weber, argues with an official during the second half of Sunday’s game against Belmont, December 17, 2006. Illinois went on to beat Belmont 77-51.

Media Credit: Brad Vest The Daily Illini

2. Illinois’ Jamar Smith shoots for three during the second half of Sunday’s game versus Belmont at Assembly hall, December 17, 2006. Smith finished the game with 8 points and 3 assists.

3. Illinois’ Brian Randle attempts a shot during the second half of Sunday’s game versus Belmont, December 17, 2006. Randle finished the game with 10 points and 4 rebounds.

4. Shaun Pruitt, 55, puts up a shot in the first half of the game against Belmont at the Assembly Hall on Sunday, Dec. 17, 2006.

5. Illinois’ Trent Meacham attempts a lay up during the second half of Sunday’s game versus Belmont, December 17, 2006. Meacham finished the game with 7 points and a rebound.

6. Rich McBride, 33, puts up a shot in the game against Belmont on Sunday, Dec. 17, 2006, at Assembly Hall.

7. Illinois chases a loose ball in the second half of the game against Belmont at Assembly Hall on Sunday, Dec. 17, 2006.

8. Illinois’ C.J. Jackson goes up for a shot during the second half of Sunday’s game versus Belmont in Assembly hall, December 17,2006.

9. Illinois’ Chester Frazier goes up for a rebound during the second half of Sunday’s game versus Belmont, December 17, 2006, at Assembly hall. Frazier had 3 points, 6 assists, and 11 rebounds.

10. Illinois’ Chester Frazier boxes in a Belmont player during the first half of Sunday’s game versus Belmont, December 17, 2006, at Assembly hall. Frazier had 3 points, 6 assists, and 11 rebounds