Wrestlers to open Big Ten against No. 8 Northwestern

By Mike Theodore

The Illini wrestling team will open its Big Ten season Friday at 7 p.m. at home against the eighth-ranked Northwestern Wildcats (10-3.)

The match is the first of three Big Ten matches in a seven-day span for the Illini and will showcase three nationally ranked wrestlers and nine others ranked in the top 15 in their respective weight classes.

In his first Big Ten match, freshman John Dergo (184) will face the nation’s top-ranked grappler in the 184-pound weight class, junior Jake Herbert. Herbert, a returning All-American and this week’s Big Ten Wrestler of the Week, took first place at last month’s Midlands Championships and will enter tomorrow night undefeated at 16-0 overall and 11-0 in dual matches. Like his opponent, Dergo is undefeated in dual matches this season.

“It’s going to be a big task,” Dergo said. “I’m not really that nervous. I’m excited. I feel like I’m ready for it.”

Cassio Pero (141) will also match up against an undefeated and top-ranked Wildcat. Pero, currently ranked 12th in his weight class, will look for revenge when he wrestles undefeated Ryan Lang, who stands at 18-0. In a 19-16 Wildcat victory last season, Lang used a first-period takedown to edge Pero 2-1.

The only top-ranked Illini, sophomore Mike Poeta (157), will try to remain undefeated this season. Opposing Poeta is sophomore Dominic Marella, who is 6-7 overall and 4-5 in duals this year. Poeta earned Big Ten Wrestler of the Week honors two weeks ago and last weekend recorded two victories to improve his record to 13-0. Head coach Mark Johnson praised Poeta’s athleticism and once again said Poeta can be as good as he wants to be.

“(Poeta) is everything you want as a leader on your team,” Johnson said.

Admission Friday is $5 for the public, $2 for those 18 and younger and free for students with their student ID card. For the first time this season fans can also listen live on WDWS 1400.