Offensive line coach accepts job at Kansas

By Courtney Linehan

Illinois football offensive line coach Ed Warinner accepted a position to be the University of Kansas’ offensive coordinator last week, leaving a vacancy in the Illinois coaching staff.

Warinner spent two seasons as Illinois’ run-game coordinator and offensive line coach. Before coming to Champaign, he held the same position for two seasons at Kansas.

“We are very pleased to have Ed Warinner rejoin our staff,” Kansas head coach Mark Mangino said in a statement. “Ed is very well respected by our coaching staff and players. He is a bright, innovative coach who has the necessary leadership qualities needed to maximize the production of our offensive talent.”

In addition to his duties as offensive coordinator, Warinner will coach quarterbacks at Kansas.

Last season, Illinois’ rushing game ranked first in the Big Ten and 10th nationally with an average of 188.8 yards per game.

University hiring practices prevent the Illinois coaching staff from filling the position immediately, but plans are in place to name a new offensive line coach in the coming weeks, likely before signing day, which is Feb. 7.