Hughes picks Notre Dame

By Courtney Linehan

Hubbard High School running back Robert Hughes announced Tuesday that he will be playing football at Notre Dame – not Illinois – in 2007 and beyond.

Hughes had narrowed his options to two schools recently. He attended the Illinois-Wisconsin Paint the Hall Orange basketball game on Saturday but also stayed in close contact with the Notre Dame coaching staff.

Illinois head coach Ron Zook, like all college coaches, cannot comment on specific recruiting situations because of NCAA recruiting rules.

Hughes’ final decision is likely linked to an announcement that Notre Dame running back Darius Walker will forego his senior season and enter the NFL draft instead. Illinois returns Rashard Mendenhall at running back; fellow running backs E.B. Halsey and Pierre Thomas finished their eligibility in 2006.

Even without Hughes, Illinois football has secured one of the top recruiting classes in the country. Recruiting Web sites Scout.com and Rivals.com both rank Illinois’ 2007 class at the 12th best in the country. Illinois has already landed verbal commitments from five-star players including wide receiver Arrelious Benn, who is already enrolled at the University, and defensive end Martez Wilson.

“Everyone goes to the big schools, Notre Dame, USC, Florida State. I wanted to be different,” Benn told the Daily Illini when classes began last Tuesday. “Everyone told me I can’t do it here, but that’s one of the challenges of coming here. I’m going to prove that I can come here, I can do it here, and this is the place for me.”

National Football Letter of Intent Signing Day is Feb. 7.