Purdue stymies Illinois in West Lafayette

By Eric Chima

David Teague could only laugh when asked about his fourth three pointer, a shot clock-beater from way outside the arc that banked home and iced Saturday’s game for his Purdue Boilermakers.

“I was just trying to hit rim so we didn’t get a violation,” Teague said.

The Boilers used Teague’s 28-point barrage and a 21-0 first-half run to bury the Illini early en route to a 64-47 win Saturday.

Purdue jumped on Illinois from the start, taking command of the game on both ends of the court. After the game was tied 4-4, the Illini didn’t score for the next 9:23 while the Boilers cruised in for one easy basket after another. Even when they missed the rim entirely, there were Boilers waiting to catch the errant the errant ball for easy put-backs.

“(The run) kills you,” Illinois coach Bruce Weber said. “You’re scrambling from behind the whole way. We just let (the game) get away.”

By the time Rich McBride found his range on an open three, Illinois trailed 25-4 and would never get within single digits again. Every time the Illini reached striking distance, Teague had an answer. In one second-half run, Purdue’s senior guard scored all 12 of his team’s points on four three-pointers – with the final one coming on his dramatic bank. He called his performance the best one of his Purdue career and the bank the best shot he had ever made.

“Teague played unbelievable,” Weber said. “He got going, and that was the key. I think the dagger was when he banked in the three. you could just see in (our players’) faces. There’s not much you can do.”

The Boilers did offer the Illini chances to get back into the game, but the road team could never capitalize. The Illini shot only 60 percent from the free-throw line and 29 percent from the field. They were frequently stymied in the paint, even with star Boiler forward Carl Landry on the bench due to foul trouble.

“We never really allowed them to get going or get in a groove,” Purdue coach Matt Painter said. “(Our players) did a good job of carrying out their assignments. I thought at times we were going to have some breakdowns, and we just had to have good enough pressure that they couldn’t see where we made mistakes.”

Shaun Pruitt was Illinios’s most effective scorer, totaling 13 points on 5-8 shooting. But he shot only 3-8 from the line and was outperformed against Landry, who scored 17 points and grabbed six rebounds in just 20 minutes. Warren Carter added 12 points as the only other Illini in double figures.

Weber said he thought the team suffered a letdown after strong performances against Wisconsin and Indiana in the last week. Many of the players were unable to practice leading up to the game, and Weber said he suspected beforehand that it might hurt the team’s intensity.

“I actually told my wife this morning we might get our butts kicked today,” Weber said.