Men’s track qualifies 7 members for NCAA Regionals

By Stuart Lieberman

The Illinois men’s track team qualified seven of its members for the NCAA Regionals.

On March 16 and 17, the Illini competed in the Willie Williams Classic in Tucson, Ariz., where they earned five regional-qualifying times and four first place finishes.

Sophomore Lesiba “Shoes” Masheto took first place in the 400-meter with a career-best time of 45.41. His time qualified him for the NCAA Regionals, put him in first place among collegiate athletes in the United States and was good enough for third place on the Illinois All-Time Outdoor Best list.

After the first meet of the outdoor season, Shoes has already received his first outdoor honor. On March 20, the Big Ten Conference announced Shoes as the Big Ten Track Athlete of the week.

Head coach Wayne Angel said Shoes’ performance was beautiful and that he could not ask for any more.

“I think outdoors suits him much better. He opened up with one of the best times in the world,” Angel said.

Seniors Anthony Young and Adrian Walker also posted regional-qualifying times in Tucson, both in the 400-meter hurdles. Young snagged first place with a career-best time of 51.94 and Walker took second with a time of 52.21.

In addition, senior Bryan Pratt took third place in the 110-meter hurdles with a regional-qualifying time of 14.12 and junior Nick Brown took second place in the triple jump with a regional-qualifying mark of 49’05.50″. Other bright spots included the first-place finishes by senior Tramell Smith in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:50.42 and by senior Trent Hoerr in the 5000-meter run with a time of 14:38.36.

Saturday, at the SIU Invite in Carbondale, Ill., the Illini took second place with 118.50 points and posted two more regional qualifying times.

Junior Andrew Zollner took first place in the pole vault with a regional-qualifying mark of 16’06.75″ and Smith snagged first place in the 800-meter run with a regional-qualifying time of 1:50.14. Another bright performance was from sophomore Greg Shroka, who took first place in the high jump with a mark of 6′.08.75″.

After only two outdoor meets, the Illini already have seven regional qualifiers.

“Many of them have been there before,” Angel said. “The veterans will do well, and the new people will do well.”

Angel said that he hopes to keep up this pace, but that it will be contingent upon the team’s health. His goal for the team is to finish in the top three at the Big Ten Men’s Outdoor Championships.

“It looks like we are starting to get things together,” Angel said. “We are definitely moving in the right direction.”

Friday, some Illini will travel to Palo Alto, Calif., to compete in the Stanford Invite, while others will travel to West Lafayette, Ind., to compete in the Mike Poehlein Invitational.