Football to work with new lineup

By Courtney Linehan

Graduation, injury and position changes mean Illinois football will look a little different during the upcoming spring season. But as practice got underway for the first session in shorts and no pads, the team focused on making the adjustments necessary to keep moving forward.

“We feel like we’ve made some great improvements, now it’s important that we continue to improve here in the third phase, spring ball,” head coach Ron Zook said in a press conference Tuesday.

While the Illini anticipated the loss of players like offensive lineman Matt Maddox and running back Pierre Thomas, who finished their eligibility in the fall, there were enough unexpected changes to keep things interesting for the 2007 spring. One of the biggest blows will be the loss of linebacker J Leman, who had surgery on his ankle six weeks ago after struggling all season to recover from a sprain sustained against Purdue. Leman is a three-year starter and was a captain as a junior.

“Not having J out there is real difficult, but he’s on the sidelines cheering us on, maybe prepping us for a couple years down the road when he’s gone,” junior linebacker Brit Miller said. “He’s out there coaching us, doing a great job with that.”

Other injuries include left tackle Akim Millington, safety Justin Sanders and defensive lineman Clay Nurse, all of whom underwent shoulder surgeries after last season. With Leman, Millington and Sanders all seeing starting action in 2006, the open slots mean opportunities for other players to prove themselves in the coming weeks.

While Leman joined the team on the sidelines late in Saturday’s practice, he spent most of the session on a stationary bike.

Several players are trying out new positions this spring, including sophomore Dere Hicks, who moved to wide receiver after spending 2006 at cornerback. Senior Xavier Fulton who will be moving from the defensive to offensive line. Fulton tore his ACL late in the 2005 season and spent most of 2006 rehabbing, but is now working out at left tackle.

“I’m excited about it. I haven’t played it since high school and everything’s totally different in high school, so it’s hard work,” Fulton said. “But the coaches think it’s a good move, and I should do well in the transition. I get a chance to go against my old D-line buddies, which will test how I know their moves.”

The Illini will next hit the field Thursday at 2 p.m.

The first practice with pads is scheduled to be Saturday’s scrimmage.