Hicks, receivers show strength

By Courtney Linehan

Illinois’ offense – particularly the passing game – looked especially strong during football’s fifth practice of the spring season.

Running back Rashard Mendenhall got things started during a long scrimmage, hauling in a 60-yard run for a touchdown. But the receivers took over after that, as DaJaun Warren made an impressive diving catch on a 15-yard pass, Chris James nabbed a pass in the endzone and tight end Michael Hoomanawanui got in on the action.

“I thought the intensity was good, there were a lot of good looks,” head coach Ron Zook said.

Perhaps the greatest improvement since spring practice started last Tuesday has been safety-turned-reciever Dere Hicks, who switched positions just a day before the spring season started.

“He’s learning, I think the thing that excites us is he shows flashes, so you know he can do it,” Zook said. “Once things become more of a reaction, he’s going to be a lot better off.”

Hicks said there’s a steep learning curve with switching sides of the ball, but that he’s making the adjustment.

He did play receiver his sophomore year of high school, but said the difference between the high school game and college game all comes down to precision and timing.

“It’s mostly just a learning process,” Hicks said. “I have to learn the hand signals, most of the plays, where I’m supposed to be, all the timing. But it’s getting a little better.”

LEMAN ON LOTT WATCH LIST:

Illinois senior linebacker J Leman has been named to the 2007 Lott Trophy watch list. Leman, who led the Big Ten with 152 tackles last season, is one of 42 defensive players on the list.

The Lott trophy, which has been given out since 2004, equally recognizes college defensive players for their athletic achievement and personal character.

The award was named for Hall of Fame member Ronnie Lott, and is meant to reward the characteristics of integrity, maturity, performance, academics, community and tenacity.

Leman, who underwent ankle surgery during the offseason and is sitting out spring ball, said the recognition is nice, but not his main focus.

“It’s like a tornado watch, it might happen, it might not,” Leman said. “There’s no guarantees. But that’s not the most important thing; I’m looking forward to going to a bowl game.”

POSITION CHANGES:

Zook said he’s happy with two moves that happened this spring.

Trevon Bellamy, who played strong safety last season, has moved to cornerback following the graduation of senior Alan Ball, who started at corner the past two seasons.

“He’s looking a lot better than I thought he would in the beginning,” Zook said. “Like I told (the secondary), they’ve got a chance to be awfully good players, but you’ve got to play consistently. In the secondary you can’t have mistakes.”

Freshman Erique Robertson, who finished high school a semester early to join the Illini for spring ball, came to Champaign as a linebacker. But he’s been working out at running back, and Zook said there’s a good chance he’ll stay there.

“We moved him over there to kind of do the tailback stuff, but right now we’re going to do some running back stuff,” Zook said. “He’s a tough kid, he understands the leverage, he’s strong, I think he can be a good player.”