Men’s track hopes to prepare for Big Tens through Illinois Invitational on Sunday

By Stuart Lieberman

The Illinois men’s track team returns home Sunday to compete in the Illinois Invitational at the University’s Track and Soccer Complex.

The meet was originally scheduled for Saturday but was postponed due to the poor weather conditions forecasted.

This will be the only home outdoor meet for the Illini all season.

“We are happy to compete in front of a home crowd,” head coach Wayne Angel said. “We are all anticipating Sunday so we can work to get some regional-qualifying times and solidify our position for the Big Ten Championships.”

Sophomore Lesiba “Shoes” Masheto, who smashed several records during the indoor season, will have his first chance to compete in the 800-meter run outdoors on Sunday.

With only a few weeks until the Big Ten Men’s Outdoor Championships, the team is continuing to learn from its mistakes.

“We want to continue to build on past performances,” Angel said.

Meanwhile, senior Ed Mastny, freshman Greg Shroka and junior Andrew Zollner will travel with assistant coach Mike Turk to Columbia, Mo., where they will compete in the decathlon at the Audren Walton Combined Events Track Meet.

Angel said that his goal for the team is just to keep becoming stronger competitors.

“For the most part, we are just trying to strengthen those areas we are strong in and strengthen those areas we are weak in,” he said.

Other schools participating in the Illinois Invitational include Depaul, Lincoln University (Mo.), Lindenwood University, Olivet Nazarene Community College, Rend Lake Community College, SIU-Edwardsville and Saint Louis University.

The field events will begin Sunday at 9 a.m., and the running events will start at noon.