All hair team 2007

Beck+Diefenbach%0A

Beck Diefenbach

By Courtney Linehan

Forget conference standings and Top 25 polls. Ignore what you know about the BCS. Don’t worry about completion rates, blocks, or tackles-for-loss.

Today the Daily Illini gives you the competition that really matters. We present, with limited commercial interruption, the 2007 Illini Football All-Hair Team.

It’s nearly four years in the making, but the ballots are in. First, we studied the follicle forays of every Illini player. We quizzed athletes about their mullets and mop-tops, cornrows, dreadlocks and luscious locks that would put that girl on the Herbal Essences commercials to shame.

Next, we formed a Hair Task Force to study the array of options and select 10 finalists. These men are the best of the best. They’ve devoted themselves to the art of coif care, and it’s paid off. They’re all winners in our book.

But a true king had to be crowned. We contacted a collection of reporters, sending ballots to only those who really know their stuff. Much like the Academy Awards voting, a strong familiarity with the work of all nominees was required of those who cast their ballots.

Today, we reveal the results: nine finalists and one champion. It was a close contest; our top three of J Leman, Michael Hoomanawanui and Xavier Fulton remained neck-and-neck throughout the race. Newcomer Mike Degory, the only coach to make the cut, made a strong showing. Justin Harrison, considered the dark horse by many, squeaked into the last spot in our top ten.

Our congratulations go to Xavier Fulton. X, you are a true champion.

The Winner: Xavier Fulton Q & A

It all began late in 2004. A dream. A vision. A goal of achieving follicle perfection.

OK, maybe it wasn’t that dramatic. But during his freshman year, Xavier Fulton decided to grow dreadlocks.

Now, two and a half years later, his hard work has paid off, to the dismay of runner-up Michael Hoomanawanui.

“Personally, it’s a sad day,” Hoomanawanui said upon hearing the news. “I guess he’s been here longer, more people know about him, so I just have to get my name out there, come back strong for next year.”

But the story today is about our winner.

Daily Illini: Congratulations on this great honor. Do you have an acceptance speech?

Xavier Fulton: I’m honored to receive this award. This took many years of doing not much with it, maybe twisting it here or there. But thanks.

DI: X, tell us about your hair upkeep routine.

XF: Other than the twirling, I try to wash it a couple times a week, try to keep it clean, try to keep the turf out of it. Every now and then I’ll find a little piece of black rubber in my hair, that’s kind of gross.

DI: Yeah, that is gross, thanks for sharing. So when did you first get the dreads?

XF: They formed into actual, individual pieces probably the end of my freshman year. Over the summer we do all that running, and they say sweat makes your hair grow faster. It makes sense. We were running and sweating a lot, so my hair started growing a lot faster. That’s when it started to break into individual pieces.

DI: So does football give you better hair? Is that the reason we had such a hard time selecting a winner?

XF: It can help your hair grow faster, I don’t know about better.

DI: I see. Do you get a lot of compliments about your hair?

XF: When I’m in a store or something and help someone they’ll say, ‘Oh my gosh, I love your hair.’ Old ladies want to touch my hair. That’s weird.

DI: Earlier this year, Warren Carter started a similar look. Did he steal the idea?

XF: I don’t know what he’s doing, if he’s trying to emulate me or not, but I’ve been confused with him many times.

DI: Well, thank you, and congratulations again.

XF: Thank you. I’m honored.

• 2: Michael Hoomanawanui, sophomore, tight end
  • 3: J Leman, senior, linebacker
  • 4: Mike Degory grad assistant, offensive line
  • 5: Chris Norwell, senior, defensive tackle
  • 6: Drew McMahon, senior, defensive back
  • 7: Antonio Gully, redshirt-freshman, corner
  • 8: Eric Block, junior, center
  • 9: Billy Garza, junior, quarterback
  • 10: Justin Harrison senior, safety

Also receiving votes

• Kyle Hudson most ’70s hair
  • Vince Okruch best Tom Selleck hair
  • Loren Tate, Herb Gould, Neil Milbert best hair in the media
  • Jason Reda best clean-cut look
  • Josh Brent top prospect in the state
  • Warren Carter best future as a hair body
  • double if the NBA thing doesn’t work out