New receiver key for Illini offense

By Courtney Linehan

Rejus Benn and the rest of the Illini will get their final workout of the spring Saturday when the team hosts the annual Spring Game.

Illini football’s touted rookie receiver will be the center of attention when the team takes Zuppke Field at 1 p.m. Benn, who came to campus just three months ago, is expected to become the backbone of Illinois’ revamped receiving corps in 2007.

“I want to be an impact player right away as far as the offense,” Benn said Wednesday after practice. “I’m pretty hard on myself sometimes, but I just want to take it game by game and become an impact player.”

Saturday’s scrimmage will highlight the progress Illinois’ offense has made since spring ball began March 27. Sophomore quarterback Juice Williams, junior running back Rashard Mendenhall and Benn are expected to anchor the offense next season, when Illinois will face one of the tougher schedules in the NCAA.

Coach Ron Zook said Tuesday that four weeks of spring ball have helped the team improve its accuracy, a main concern for the young offense.

“Everybody wants to know about wins, losses, going to a bowl game. Our program has to take the next step,” Zook said. “What does that mean? That means you have to win. And unfortunately, you can’t buy time.”

Throughout the spring, the defense continued to build on its experience and depth. Senior safety Kevin Mitchell said he’s never been happier with the strength on his side of the ball.

Mitchell stressed, though, that good performances last season against teams like Ohio State and Wisconsin cannot become an excuse to slack in practice or on game day.

“There’s times where you feel like you’re better than you’re opponent and you tend to slack. The coaches have been really on us about keeping up that intensity,” Mitchell said. “We’re still 2-10. We’re not there.”

Honorary coaches announced

Two former All-Americans will serve as the Spring Game Honorary Coaches, the football office announced Thursday.

Former quarterback Jeff George and linebacker Simeon Rice will return to campus to attend the scrimmage.

George was Illinois’ top draft pick in school history, being selected No. 1 overall in the 1990 NFL Draft. He was named an All-American in 1988 and 1989, and spent 11 seasons in the NFL.

Rice, a graduate of Mt. Carmel High School in Chicago, was a three-time All-American. He set school records with 44.5 sacks and 69 tackles for loss.

More than 200 former players, coaches and managers will be in attendance for Saturday’s spring game.

Stadium sale moves east

The semi-annual Stadium Sale will be held Saturday on the East Side of Memorial Stadium.

The sale, which runs from 9 a.m. until the end of the Spring Game, will feature official DIA team-issued gear and reduced-price merchandise from Gameday Spirit.

Parking for the sale and the Spring Game will be available in all four lots of Assembly Hall.