Senior GD Jones leads the way as tennis topples Iowa

By Jim Shay

With every passing point, senior GD Jones drew closer to the conclusion of his final regular season with the men’s tennis team.

Despite a bothersome shoulder and an early deficit, he had no intention of going quietly.

Thanks in part to an inspiring performance from the seasoned senior, the Illini capped off a successful sweep of their weekend matches with a 6-1 victory over visiting Iowa on Sunday, one day after dropping a similarly overmatched Minnesota squad by the same margin.

Forced to abandon his usual serve technique to accommodate his shoulder, Jones rallied for a 3-6, 7-6 (7-3), 1-0 (10-7) victory in a singles match he was not about to abandon.

“There wasn’t a decision process,” said Jones regarding the possibility of an injury forfeit. “I wasn’t about to lose.”

While the latter part of the match provided some exhilarating tennis for the large gallery of fans, the Illini got the job done early in capturing the match’s first point in doubles behind wins from the ninth-ranked duo of juniors Kevin Anderson and Ryan Rowe, as well as teammates Jones and sophomore Marc Spicijaric.

With an early lead heading into singles competition, the men’s tennis team continued its domination of the Hawkeyes, as four Illini players defeated their opponents in straight sets.

Junior Ruben Gonzales, who returned to the lineup last week from injury, looked strong in a 6-3, 6-3 win, while Spicijaric made quick work of Iowa’s Christian Bierich on his way to a 6-0, 6-1 victory.

Many of the players were forced to accommodate a shot-altering breeze that battered the outdoor courts.

Spicijaric thought adjusting to the unfavorable environment during their weekend victories provided a test for the Illini that will help them in the upcoming postseason.

“There were really tough conditions to play in, especially today with the wind,” Spicijaric said. “It helped us a little bit with our confidence, but we know if we’re going to beat Ohio State we’re going to have to play levels above what we did today and yesterday. It’s going to take a total team effort to beat a team like Ohio State.”

For head coach Brad Dancer, the success of the weekend was an important opportunity for growth as the team heads into Big Ten tournament play next weekend.

“I don’t think from a confidence sense these wins are that important,” Dancer said. “They’re important from a foundation sense. You’re looking at re-laying the foundation for what you stand for and what your character is. I think in that sense it was good that we did that.”

A brief ceremony between singles and doubles competition honored Jones on Senior Day.

Reflecting back on his Illini career, Jones offered a confident look back on his past, as well as optimistic hopes for the future.

“I don’t feel any particular regrets about anything in my Illini career,” Jones said. “I’m just really excited to finish it up at the Big Ten tournament and the NCAAs because it’s such a special experience.”

The Big Ten tournament is scheduled to begin next Saturday in Indiana as the Illini will be looking to gain home court advantage in the first round of the NCAA Championships.