Track breaks team records

By Stuart Lieberman

The Illinois men’s track and field team competed in the 80th running of the Kansas Relays this weekend in Lawrence, Kan., coming away with five season bests and two personal bests.

The Illini won both the 4×1600-meter relay and the 4×800-meter relay. In the 4×1600, freshmen Tim Entwistle, Mike Murray, Jacob Nachel and Jared Richardson stepped up and ran a 17:23.97.

“Our younger guys stepped up and raced well and our older guys raced well. I think people are coming around and peaking at the right time,” senior Jon Houseworth said.

In the 4×800, Richardson, junior Allister Ross and freshmen Scott Phelps and Brian Beaird ran a 7:43.89.

Houseworth took the crown in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a 9:28.45, a race he said was slower than he expected.

“I was happy, but I think my time will come in the next few weeks,” he said.

Senior Bryan Pratt finished in second place in the 110-meter hurdles with a personal-best time of 14.05.

Junior Nick Brown had a season best in the triple jump with a mark of 5-feet, 11-inches.

In the 800-meter, senior Tramell Smith ran a season best with a 1:49.80.

In the 400-meter hurdles, senior Adrian Walker finished in the invitational division with a season best time of 51.75 seconds, while freshman Joey Hodges took second place in the college division with a season best time of 52.77 seconds.

The Illini had another season best in the 4×400-meter relay. Walker, Smith, Hodges and sophomore Lesiba Masheto ran a 3:10:33.

Head coach Wayne Angel said his team had a fair performance.

“Earlier in the year we hadn’t had the progress we needed,” he said. “I am encouraged by this weekend’s performances. We have momentum rolling now.”

Meanwhile, assistant coach Wendel McRaven traveled with senior Jason Bill and junior Trent Hoerr to Eugene, Ore., where they competed in the Oregon Invitational. Hoerr represented the Illini with a personal-best and regional-qualifying time of 14:02.73 in the 5,000-meter.