Men’s tennis team competes this weekend at Purdue in Big Ten Tournament

Jeff Roberson, AP

Jeff Roberson, AP

By Eric Chima

The Illinois men’s tennis team will head to the Big Ten Tournament at Purdue this weekend with a chance to salvage its Big Ten season and an opportunity to host NCAA tournament matches on the line.

The Illini have made it to the finals of the tournament every year since the current format was introduced in 1999, winning the title six times. But to make it back this year, they will likely have to avenge their April 6 loss to Michigan, a defeat that left them in third place in the conference for the first time in over a decade. The Wolverines finished the season in second, setting up a potential semifinal showdown between the two teams.

“Obviously we have to focus on our first match, but we’re definitely looking forward to playing Michigan,” Spicijaric said. “We know we’re better than them. Now we’ve got the advantage because we’re a little bit closer, and I think we’ll take them this time.”

The Illini will have to get through Purdue just to face the Wolverines. The 11th-seeded Boilermakers used their home court advantage to upset sixth-seeded Minnesota 4-1 Thursday, but the Illini will be heavy favorites after trouncing Purdue 6-1 on the same courts during the regular season.

Illinois will come into the tournament as healthy as they have been at any point during the conference season. The Illini were battered with injuries throughout the year, including during both of their Big Ten losses. But other than a minor shoulder injury suffered by GD Jones last week – which he said was fully recovered – the team will finally come in at 100 percent.

“We’ve had some bad luck this year and last year,” senior GD Jones said. “But that’s just the way it goes, and we just have to deal with it. I think we’re all pretty much healthy now, for the first time in a while.”

With a strong performance at the tournament, the Illini could clinch a home match to begin the NCAA tournament. The Illini are currently ranked No. 9 in the country, and the top 15 teams get to host early-round matches. Sophomore Ryan Rowe, ranked No. 23 in the nation, could also clinch a spot in the NCAA singles tournament with a solid showing. Kevin Anderson, ranked No. 5, has already assured himself a spot in the singles draw.