Softball loses three to ranked teams

Illinois pitcher Vicky Brown winds up in the first inning of the game against DePaul University at Eichelberger Field on Saturday. Brown allowed six hits and three runs in the 3-2 loss to No. 11 DePaul. Beck Diefenbach

By Mike Theodore

The Illini softball team dropped three games this weekend to No. 11 DePaul and No. 9 Northwestern and was no-hit by the Wildcats in Sunday’s second game.

Illini hitters struggled at the plate all weekend tallying a combined eight hits.

“We’re really pressing at the plate and then when you’re facing a quality pitcher you start to not swing at the right pitches and swing at the bad pitches,” head coach Terri Sullivan said.

On Sunday, Northwestern pitcher Lauren Delaney struck out 10 Illini hitters and didn’t allow a hit in the Wildcats 5-0 win. Delaney’s shutout improved her season record to 17-2.

In the day’s first game, the Illini scored two runs in the top half of the first, but the Wildcats responded and scored 12 runs in five innings to earn 12-4 run-rule win. The loss dropped the Illini to 29-11 overall and 7-7 in the conference. Northwestern improved to 40-10 overall and 14-3 in the Big Ten.

Freshman pitcher Vicky Brown allowed four runs in 2 1/3 innings of work and was saddled with her ninth loss of the year. Saturday afternoon, DePaul edged the Illini 3-2 in front of an Eichelberger Field record crowd of 1,445.

Illinois designated hitter Katrina Ross lined a two-run home run to right field in the fourth inning to give the Illini a 2-1 lead. The home run was Ross’ first career home run and became the 12th Illini to homer this season.

“I just tried to stay right on the ball and go with the pitch,” Ross said. “I’m just trying to get the job done when I’m called upon.”

The Blue Demons responded in the fifth when Sandy Vojik found the left-center-field gap for a game-tying double.

In the sixth inning, DePaul was able to score the winning run despite not recording a hit. The Illini defense misplayed three pop-ups in the sixth, which led to an unearned run.

“In a game like this you need to make the routine plays,” Sullivan said. “Pop-ups are gifts but we struggled a little with communicating today with them.”