Former Illini Pierre Thomas on future with Saints

By Courtney Linehan

Daily Illini: What were your thoughts going into Saturday’s NFL draft?

Pierre Thomas: I really wasn’t too worried about the whole draft situation. I was wondering if I would get drafted, but I really wasn’t worrying that much. I had a phone call from (Ron) Turner on Saturday, and he told me he was telling the (Bears) about me. He said he told me that I was a good player, a good person and everything. I think I fit good there (Chicago), I know the offense well. I was just sitting back thinking I might be a Chicago Bears player, back in my hometown with hometown fans, but it didn’t work out like that, but I got a better deal.

DI: What were some of the teams that showed interest in you?

PT: I had Cleveland, New Orleans, the Giants, the Bears, San Francisco and the Patriots interested in me.

DI: Did you expect to be a free agent or were you anticipating getting drafted?

PT: To tell you the truth, I really didn’t know. I just was hoping I’d get the opportunity to play in the NFL. As it got closer to the fifth round, I was just thinking, ‘I’m going to be a free agent.’ I was really just sitting back waiting. That’s how the whole process goes. Nobody really knows what to expect, there’s so much crazy stuff going on during the draft, and I wasn’t upset about anything.

DI: What’s it like when you know you’re going to be a second-day guy in the draft? Can you watch the first day or is it too nerve-racking?

PT: Actually, I was sleeping pretty much during both days of the draft. My agency has a lot of clients, and we were busy; we had meetings and everything so we really weren’t paying too much attention to the draft. They had us doing things – meeting people, dinner and everything. I was down doing an interview for ESPN radio in St. Louis. It was nice I was occupied so my whole mind set wasn’t on the draft that much. I was just waiting to get the phone call or hear from my agent that he got the phone call. Saturday I kind of had the idea that I wasn’t going to get picked so I just sat back and watched the guys that were getting picked.

DI: What are your thoughts on going with the Saints? How did the free agency selection process play out?

PT: They called me during the draft and told me they were really interested in me, and they wanted me. I started getting phone calls from other teams letting me know they were interested, but they said they couldn’t talk until after the draft. After the draft ended, I got a phone call from New Orleans, and they made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.

DI: Have you talked to Steve (Weatherford) or Saints assistant special teams coach Greg McMahon?

PT: Yeah, I called coach McMahon, and he was the one who put in a good word for me. He’s the one who called me and told me, ‘Hey, we really want you man, I’ve been telling these guys all about you.’ He said he talked to (Sean Payton) and told him that this kid is amazing and a great guy, and he’ll work his butt off for you.

DI: What’s the best part about the draft being over?

PT: Just knowing what team you’re on, knowing you got a home.