Bears DT Tank Johnson suspended for eight games

Chicago Bears defensive lineman Tank Johnson, left, enters Cook County Court accompanied by Bears head coach Lovie Smith, right, in Skokie, Ill., in this March, 15, 2007, file photo. The Associated Press

AP

By The Associated Press

NEW YORK – Tank Johnson of the Chicago Bears was suspended by the NFL for the first eight games of the 2007 regular season for violating the league’s new personal conduct policy.

The defensive tackle recently served a two-month jail stint on a probation violation on gun-related charges.

He’s the third player suspended by commissioner Roger Goodell in little more than a month for off-field behavior. In April, Goodell suspended Tennessee Titans defensive back Adam “Pacman” Jones for the entire 2007 season and Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry for eight games. Jones is appealing his suspension.

Goodell said Johnson’s suspension could be reduced to six games if he has no further involvement with law enforcement and undergoes counseling.

After meeting with Goodell last month upon his release, Johnson said he was ready to accept whatever punishment Goodell handed down and that he wants to become the NFL’s “Man of the Year,” the player honored for being its best citizen.