Spurs top Cavs in finals opener; young James struggles in star role

By The Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO – One of the most anticipated debuts in NBA finals history was way, way off the mark.

A LeBrick, if you will.

LeBron James couldn’t solve San Antonio’s stifling defense and the pick-and-rolling Spurs, as fundamental and selfless as ever, outclassed Cleveland in an 85-76 win over the Cavaliers in Game 1 on Thursday night.

Tim Duncan had 24 points, 13 rebounds and five blocks, and Tony Parker added 27 points for the Spurs, who began their quest for a fourth championship since 1999 by putting on a basketball clinic for the Cavs, finals rookies, who have a ton of work to do if they have any intention of making this a competitive series.

With the eyes of Texas, a curious hoops nation and the world upon him, the 22-year-old James, who has rarely failed to rise to any occasion, flopped like never before on the game’s grandest stage.

James shot just 4-of-16 from the field and finished with 14 points against the Spurs led by Bruce Bowen, San Antonio’s secretary of defense, who got plenty of help from his teammates in grounding Cleveland’s soaring superstar.

This was not the series opener James – or the NBA – had hoped for. His first foray into the finals was hyped in the days leading up to the game as many wondered if he could deliver the way Michael Jordan once did.

But James came nowhere nearing matching Jordan’s first game in the finals when he scorched the Los Angeles Lakers for 36 points on June 2, 1991.

Game 2 is Sunday night in San Antonio.