Q & A: “One-Man Fastbreak,” Dee Brown, back in C-U

Illinois guard Dee Brown drives against a Minnestoa defender at the United Center in Chicago. Steve Contorno

By Courtney Linehan

You may have heard of Dee Brown. In 2006 he won the Bob Cousy Award as the nation’s top point guard, and finished his career at Illinois tied with teammate James Augustine as the two winningest players in school history. He was part of the 2005 lineup that topped the polls for a record 15 weeks, and took Illinois to its first NCAA final appearance.

Now, he’s an NBA player. After being drafted by the Utah Jazz late in the second round last year, he heads into the 2007-08 season as a free agent. Jazz officials have said they hope to re-sign him, so he can team up with fellow Illini alumnus Deron Williams once again.

But this week he’s in Champaign-Urbana, hosting a youth basketball camp at Urbana High School called The Dee Brown One-Man Fastbreak Basketball Camp.

Daily Illini: Why’d you decide to come back to Urbana for this camp?

Dee Brown: It was always my dream to have a camp, but to come back down here where the love is and people really care for you and respect what you do is always, always good.

DI: How’d you set this up with Urbana High School?

DB: Just going through the different people, find out who wants to work with you. It’s all about networking.

DI: Have you been impressed with the turnout?

DB: Oh, I’ve got a good crowd. It’s all about people who show support for me and how I work. My camp is going to be a success because I want people to learn something, and I’ve got great people teaching.

DI: Let’s talk about your other job a little bit.

DB: For me, these next few days are important because I’m a free agent. I’m working out, but I don’t want to work out too hard because I know if I get signed somewhere I’ll have to go to summer league. I’m still keeping my focus on basketball and having fun.

DI: In the conference semifinals against Golden State, Mehmet Okur fell on your neck. I’d say everybody in Champaign, probably everybody watching took a pretty deep breath, got a little scared there.

DB: Honestly, I was just blessed, man. I was in a situation where I really hurt myself pretty severely, but it’s about just having faith. God really held me down. It was a tough injury, but I knew I was going to come back and play. The only way I’m not playing is if I’m really really hurt or can’t walk. It was a situation where God showed how much he cared for me.

DI: How great was it to be playing with Deron this past year?

DB: Oh, it was great. To see him grow, have the great season that he had and become one of the leading players in the league, it was great. Hopefully I’ll go back.

DI: Is that what you’re hoping for, to be back with the Jazz?

DB: I’m hoping to be back wherever they want me. I’m going to go back, play hard, do whatever I need to do.

DI: These next couple weeks are a little bit of a pressure cooker.

DB: Yeah, but it’s cool. There’s worse things going on in the world today. I’m a realist, I’m a guy who’s always going to keep it real. If it happens, I’m blessed. If not, I’m going to continue to work hard, and something will work out for me.

DI: Let’s update where everybody’s at. I hear Deron’s getting ready to go to Tony Parker and Eva Longoria’s wedding…

DB: Uh huh. James is in Orlando, summer league. I think Roger’s in Joilet. Lu’s in Houston, I think he’s coming up here this week. Other guys, I don’t even know.

DI: How many times have you been back to Champaign this year?

DB: This is my third time back.

DI: Has Warren been calling you guys as he gets ready for the draft?

DB: I talked to Warren two days ago. He’ll be all right. I don’t think he should be nervous. Last year the point guard of the year went 46th, so you never know where you’re going to go in the draft.

DI: I know it’s Day 1, but you think you’ll be having this camp again next year?

DB: Definitely. I’ll be doing this for the rest of my life