Vick property linked to dogfighting

Investigators are shown examing a vehicle on property owned by Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, Thursday, June 7, 2007, in Surry County, Va. Federal law enforcement officials descended on the home owned by Vick on Thursday, armed with a search wa The Associated Press

ASSOCIATED PRESS

By Hana Kruz Jr.

SURRY, Va. – Federal authorities filed court documents outlining an alleged dogfighting operation at a property owned by Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick as agents searched the property Friday.

Vick is not named in the documents.

The documents filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Richmond and obtained Friday by The Associated Press contain the address of the home that has been the center of the investigation.

According to the documents, dog fights have been sponsored by “Bad Newz Kennels” at the property since at least 2002. For the events, participants and dogs traveled from South Carolina, North Carolina, Maryland, New York, Texas and other states.

Members of the venture also knowingly transported, delivered and received dogs for animal fighting, the documents state.

Fifty-four animals were recovered from the property during searches in April, along with a “rape stand,” used to hold dogs in place for mating; an electric treadmill modified for dogs; and a bloodied piece of carpeting, the documents said.

The property was used as the “main staging area for housing and training the put bulls involved in the dog fighting venture,” according to the filings.