Wrigley Field roughed up by the Police

CHICAGO – Sting was at Wrigley Field while the Cubs were on the road last week and now center field at the neighborhood ball park is looking a bit rough.

As the Cubs held a workout Thursday before resuming post-All-Star break play Friday, the grass in center field was discolored and the turf appeared to have numerous divots in it – the remnants of two Police concerts last week.

“It’s a little messy. Sometimes it’ll happen and you have to make the adjustment,” Cubs center fielder Angel Pagan said after testing the area, some of which appeared to have been re-sodded.

“The grass is thick,” Pagan said. “The ball is going to bounce a little more and snake a little more. I was getting power shagging today so I can get used to it. Tomorrow we have a game, and I might be in there. You’ve got to get to know it today so tomorrow it won’t be a problem.”

Manager Lou Piniella said it was playable and there were a few spots where grass had to be replaced and painted.

“It’s not dangerous at all,” said Piniella, whose team trails Milwaukee by 4« games in the NL Central. The Cubs host Houston on Friday.

Cliff Floyd was told what caused the rough area.

“Oh, that’s what happened, they had a concert here,” Floyd said. “It can’t be worse than it was. We’ll deal with it. … I played in Shea Stadium, you deal with conditions the way they are. If they are messed up a little bit, so what?”

General manager Jim Hendry said it was obvious that there needed to be some work done to the area in center when team officials first saw it this week. “But I think for the most part it seemed to survive,” he said.

Hendry said he doesn’t oppose having concerts at the second oldest park in the majors. Jimmy Buffet played at Wrigley last year.

“I think it’s fine. I don’t think you want one every week,” Hendry said. “But I certainly think it has value and certainly since the Buffet thing, as a general manager’s viewpoint where some of the money is certainly going into the payroll, so I’m all for that.”