Illini football hosts charity event

By Courtney Linehan

The Illini football team plans to score its first touchdown of the 2007 season today in its second annual supply drive for Cunningham Children’s Home.

Players will be on hand from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Memorial Stadium, where they will be collecting new items from the home’s wish list.

“We’re going to have a 100-yard field set up and lay out supplies from goal line to goal line,” senior receiver Frank Lenti Jr. said. “The supplies are going to score a touchdown.”

Because of stadium renovations, the field will be set up on the Illinois football practice field at Fourth Street and Kirby Avenue. In case of rain, it will be moved to the Irwin Indoor Practice Facility.

Lenti encourages anyone interested in making a donation to bring their items, meet players and get autographs. The team is looking for housekeeping supplies, clothing, school supplies, health care products, toiletries, sports equipment, arts and crafts items, cameras and electronics.

Every member of the team will be on hand at some point during the day, depending on their class schedules. The C-U Radio Group, including Q96, 95.3 The Rock and 105.9 WGKC, will also be broadcasting live from the stadium throughout the day.

“When people come by it gives us a chance to meet them, throw the ball around with the kids, spend some time with them,” Lenti said. “I remember growing up, being around my dad’s teams. I think of that, and I know the chance to play catch with an Illinois football player is something they’ll remember as they’re growing up. So it’s not just about the drive, it’s also about getting to know people from the community.”

The Illini football team participates in several community outreach activities each year, visiting hospitals, reading to children and staying active around Champaign. But Lenti said the supply drive is becoming a favorite event.

The mission of Cunningham Children’s Home is to offer emotional, social, educational and spiritual support to children, youth and families by providing a safe, nurturing, therapeutic environment in which individuals may experience personal growth and healing.

Last year the team collected more than $13,000 worth of supplies, and this year it hopes to top that amount. Lenti said the home especially needs school supplies. A complete list of items is available at fightingillini.com.

“We’re really excited about it,” Lenti said. “It was a big success last year, and hopefully now that more people know about it and it’s been publicized a little more, we’ll go over our goal.”