Illini set for season opener in St. Louis

By Mike Theodore

The Fighting Illini football team returns to game action this Saturday in St. Louis against the Big 12’s Missouri Tigers. Illinois was just 4-19 in the past two seasons, but 20 returning starters, a nationally acclaimed recruiting class and a stadium renovation have increased excitement for the season.

Illinois will play 12 regular season games, half of which will be at home. The Illini open their home schedule Sept. 8 against Western Illinois at a not quite renovated Memorial Stadium. Quarterback Juice Williams returns for his sophomore season and leads an Illini offense that looks similar to last season’s squad that averaged 345.3 yards per game.

“I’m seeing things a lot better,” Williams said. “I’m more confident out there. Everything is going a lot slower. Now it’s a matter of me getting out there and performing.”

Williams overtook Tim Brasic to earn the starting quarterback job and threw for nine touchdowns, finishing the year with a 39.5 percent completion rate.

“I feel like we are taking the right direction,” Williams said. “We’re not perfect but we’re making strides.”

For the first time in his Illini career, junior running back Rashard Mendenhall will be asked to carry the full backfield load. Mendenhall rushed for five touchdowns and averaged 8.2 yards per carry last season while splitting time with senior Pierre Thomas.

Joining the Illini offense this season is highly regarded freshman receiver Rejus Benn. Last season’s leading receiver Kyle Hudson is excited about the addition of an exciting talent to the receiving corps.

“I think its going to open up a lot of options on offense,” Hudson said.

Benn suffered a strained shoulder during preseason practice and was still wearing a red jersey at Monday’s practice, but Williams was not concerned.

“(Benn) should be ready to go,” Williams said. “I’m guessing the red jersey is just for precaution.”

On the other side of the ball, middle linebacker J Leman anchors a defense that underwent a major change during the offseason.

Defensive coordinator Vince Okruch asked for and was granted a leave of absence. He was replaced by defensive position coaches Curt Mallory and Dan Disch. The two inherit the reins of a defense that ranked 36th nationally in yards per game allowed a season ago.

“(The change) hasn’t affected us one bit,” Leman said. “It’s best for the program and for both parties.”

Leman, the team’s leading tackler in 2006, also led the Big Ten last season with 12.7 tackles per game. He was named to the Butkus Award Watch List, with the final award given to the nation’s top linebacker.

“It is going to be a lot of fun,” Leman said. “Now it’s time to play the game.”