Former Illini compete in U.S. Open

Amer Delic of the United States lunges out to return a shot to Lleyton Hewitt of Australia during their match at the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York on Tuesday. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS, ELISE AMENDOLA

AP

By Brian Atlas

Former Illini Brian Wilson, a professional tennis player, was thrilled to have the opportunity to play in the U.S. Open at Flushing Meadows.

“What I’ve been able to accomplish is great, but there are things I wish I could have done better,” he said.

Professionals Ryler DeHeart, Amer Delic and Rajeev Ram, also Illinois alumni, competed in the U.S. Open as well, which is scheduled to conclude on Sept. 9.

DeHeart, Ram and Wilson did not advance past the second round of qualifying. They needed to win three rounds in order to qualify for the main draw.

DeHeart, a 2006 graduate, won his first round against U.S. tennis player Lester Cook 6-7 (7-4), 7-5, 6-4, but lost in the second round of qualifying to Dudi Sela 6-3, 6-3.

Delic was able to play in the main draw but had to go up against Lleyton Hewitt in the first round at Arthur Ashe Stadium. Delic was defeated 6-2, 6-4, 6-2. DeHeart said he expected more out of himself in the tournament but was proud to be among other Illini competing with the best in the world.

“(Competing at Flushing Meadows) is a great thing,” DeHeart said. “It shows how strong Illinois tennis is, and we’re trying to give it a good name, a good representation at the pro tournament.”

Ram and Wilson still feel connected with other Illini even though they aren’t part of the University anymore.

Both teamed up as a duo and won the 2002-03 NCAA doubles championship for Illinois.

“When you’re playing on tour, sometimes it’s tough because you’re playing for yourself,” Ram said. “(Illini) supporting you makes it that much easier.”

That loneliness vanished on Sept. 1 when former head coach Craig Tiley got married in Chicago. He took over the team as interim coach, going 4-23 in the 1992-93 campaign, led the Illini to the 2003 NCAA National Championship and coached the team through the 2003-04 season.

“We were all together unfortunately until the wee hours of the morning,” head coach Brad Dancer said with a laugh. “(Tiley and former players) support the program. There’s a real fraternity. There’s a real brotherhood.”

The only one of those former players that Dancer coached was DeHeart. Realizing the scope of the accomplishment that occurred last season – when Illinois finished No. 2 in the nation – DeHeart gives Dancer full approval.

“(Dancer) obviously had to fill some shoes after Craig,” DeHeart said. “The team last year went through a lot of injuries, a lot of ups and downs, and he really weathered the storm, got the guys motivated.

“He’s just unbelievable at what he does … He really creates an environment for improvement and competitiveness, which is huge for a college team.”

Dancer notes that aside from pushing for intense collegiate play, he preaches that it should always be a goal to go to the next level. He is proud that DeHeart became a professional under his direction, and Dancer plans to continue preaching to recruits.

Wilson, who graduated in 2004, matured into a professional under Tiley.

He tries to sit back and realize the enormity of his accomplishments and to appreciate traveling the world and the aesthetics that go along with the travel.

“Beijing and South Africa are by far the two best places (to go),” Wilson said.

He appreciated viewing the Great Wall of China, seeing where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned and experiencing “incredible” beaches.

While on tour, it does not hurt that he is friends with U.S. great Andy Roddick. Wilson is impressed that Roddick does not act superior to the others just because of his high ranking.

“Andy’s a really cool guy,” Wilson said. “He’s relaxed in the locker room; he’ll joke around with the other guys.”

Just as Wilson perceives Roddick as not acting above the other Americans, the Illini-turned-professionals treat Illinois the same way. Dancer mentioned that “those guys are huge supporters of the program now, so it’s not like they’re gone and we don’t see or hear from them again.” DeHeart doesn’t simply cherish everything that went on during competitive matches.

“It was more of the stuff off the court and just forming a lot of lifelong friendships that I’ll remember forever,” DeHeart said.

And so Dancer appreciates the reunion at Tiley’s wedding, and he is proud to see himself and Tiley as integral parts of the success their former players have achieved.

“Craig had all these dreams and visions for the future and (now) I’ve got it,” Dancer said. “It’s fun that I get to put my stamp on the future of Illinois tennis and at the same time … honor and pay homage to the traditions of the past.”