Colts defensive unit out to prove Week 1 shutdown no flash in pan

Indianapolis Colts safety Matt Giordano, left, outruns New Orleans Saints guard Jahri Evans for a touchdown after he intercepted a pass from Saints quarterback Drew Brees in the fourth quarter in Indianapolis in the Sept. 6 opener. The Colts play the Tita THE ASSOCIATED PRESS, TOM STRATTMAN

AP

By Michael Marot

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indianapolis Colts defense has something to prove Sunday.

After hearing all the adulation about shutting down the NFL’s top offense from last year in Week 1, the Colts want to show everybody, including themselves, they can duplicate that effort at Tennessee.

“It’s the next game and we want to keep that consistency going,” three-time Pro Bowler Dwight Freeney said Wednesday. “We played very well the last game, but the last game is the last game.”

The Colts kept the New Orleans Saints’ offense out of the end zone in a 41-10 win last Thursday. But for years, consistency has been the bane of the Colts’ defense.

With the exception of 2005, when Indy ranked among the league’s best in turnovers and sacks, the Colts (1-0) have shown mostly flashes of brilliance mixed with struggles.

Mobile quarterbacks, such as Tennessee’s Vince Young, have given the Colts trouble, and a year ago, the Colts ranked last in the NFL against the run.

Their performance a week ago appeared to change that image. New Orleans was held without an offensive touchdown for the first time in coach Sean Payton’s tenure, and limited each of the Saints’ top two running backs, Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush, to 38 yards rushing.

Most of the Colts players acknowledge it was a good start. Most also realize it was only one game.

But it could set the tone for the season if they keep playing aggressively.

“It’s important for us to fly around, get to the football and make plays in the open field,” middle linebacker Gary Brackett said. “I think we’re a totally different defense than we were last year.”

Tennessee should test the Colts in different ways.

Aside from Young’s dual talents, running and throwing, the Colts face Chris Brown, who rushed for a career-high 175 yards – a higher total than his entire 2006 season, and LenDale White, a bruising back who is expected to play a more significant role in his second NFL season.

Plus, the Colts cannot rely on crowd noise or the emotional spirit they had after unfurling their Super Bowl championship banner last week.

Instead, they’ll have to find other motivational tools on the road.

Last year, Indy split its two meetings with the Titans, escaping with a 14-13 victory and home and then watching helplessly as Rob Bironas made a 60-yard field goal with 8 seconds left to give the Titans a 20-17 victory in Nashville.