Williams leads Illini in win over Orange

By Mike Theodore

In just three quarters of play, quarterback Juice Williams showed his ability to create and manage the offense with both his arm and his legs. The sophomore quarterback had his best outing of the season in the 41-20 victory against the Syracuse Orange.

Williams completed 13 of 18 pass attempts for 97 yards and ran 12 times for an additional 90 yards. The 72 percent completion rate was the best of Williams’ career. He kept the Orange defense guessing on the Illini’s option plays and even threw a block on the Arrelious Benn reverse.

The Illini opened the game with a dominating six-play, 70-yard opening drive which ended when Williams fired a ball to Jeff Cumberland to give the Illini the early lead. It was the 6-feet-5 tight end’s first catch of the season and second career touchdown reception.

The running game

The Illini offense literally ran up the score against the Orange defense. Rashard Mendenhall and Troy Pollard led the Illini ground attack that as a team averaged 7.4 yards per carry and featured three different rushers with more than 90 yards. Mendenhall impressed with 150 yards on the ground on just 16 carries, good for a 9.4 yard per carry average. The junior tailback scored a career-high three touchdowns and also caught three passes for 20 yards.

After a Mendenhall fumble in the second quarter, the speedy Pollard stepped in and showed his ability to create offense. The true-freshman from Jacksonville, Fla., rushed for 97 yards on 13 carries, including a 31-yard run in the second quarter. Pollard also returned one kick for 18 yards.

Bumpy special teams

It was an up-and-down day for the Illini special teams Saturday. Senior placekicker Jason Reda attempted Illinois’ first field goal attempt of the season in the second quarter. Reda hit the 32-yarder and drilled a 50-yard attempt in the third quarter to give the Illini a 20-3 lead.

Punter Anthony Santella punted three times, none of which were retuned. All three were inside the 20-yard line, including one which was downed inside the 10-yard line.

On the opening kickoff of the second half, the Illini’s Michael Cklamovski topped the ball, in an apparent on-side kick attempt. As a result, the Orange took over on the Illinois 29-yard line and finally got on the scoreboard four plays later on a Patrick Shadle 44-yard field goal.

In the fourth quarter the Orange recovered their kick after the Illini deep men failed to catch the ball.

The Orange took possession on the Illinois 23-yard line and six plays later turned the miscue into their second touchdown of the day.