Men to field full arsenal at ND Invite

By Laura Hettiger

With two team titles and a Big Ten Runner of the Week nod given to senior Trent Hoerr, the Fighting Illini men’s cross country team is looking to keep its winning streak alive. The Orange and Blue travel to Notre Dame, Ind., on Friday for the 52nd annual Notre Dame Invitational to challenge a field of 23 teams.

“This is kind of the start of the season so to speak,” senior Mike Kelley said. “It’s the first meet that really matters when it comes to postseason.”

Although the Illini found success early by capturing the Illini Challenge and the Illinois Intercollegiate meets, the Notre Dame Invitational is the first competition affecting the national standings.

Having just received votes in the latest U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association poll, the Illini want to use this opportunity to prove they can run with the best.

“It’s another opportunity for us to grow as a team and get some good competition in,” head coach Wendel McRaven said. “After getting some votes in the national poll, now I think we got to live up to that.”

McRaven is also pleased with his team’s level of fitness – especially so early in the season. The runners took matters into their own hands during the summer months and are aerobically prepared to face tougher competition.

Even with the early successes the team has enjoyed, the real competition comes at the end of the year. There are only seven meets during the season and the Illini plan to improve with each successive meet.

“You always want to run faster than you ran before,” said Kelley about his goal for the rest of the season. “I just want to get up into the top 30, the top 25 and beat as many people as possible – let the time take care of itself.”

Because the Notre Dame meet is the first chance the Illini can score points, Kelley said “all of our top guys will be in the race.” The team will be sending the 11 best runners: nine will compete in the team race whereas two will be in the open race.

In a modest sport, the team is mainly looking forward to running against better competition.

Already dubbed the best team in Illinois, the Illini want to defend their “Braggin’ Rights” title and prove they deserve their No. 7 spot in the Midwest regional poll.

“We just do what we need to do and let the competition take care of itself,” Kelley said.

The Notre Dame Invitational will begin at 4 p.m. on Friday. The 8K race will be held at the Notre Dame Golf Course.

The Illini will have another two-week hiatus from competition before the Pre-National meet on Oct. 13 in Terre Haute, Ind.