Tennis trio serves up fresh start

By Stuart Lieberman

An energetic companion. An enthusiastic supporter. A gentle Australian spirit. Three new personalities stepped onto the University campus this fall when the Illinois women’s tennis team reconvened – freshmen Marisa Lambropoulos, Annie McCarthy and Candy Graetz.

“We are looking forward to having three more healthy bodies on our team,” head coach Michelle Dasso said.

After a down season last year that was riddled with injuries, the team now has a lot of young, healthy talent in its hands.

Despite their distinct personalities, they all join the Illini for the same reason: to improve their game and be an active team member, both on and off the court.

Lambropoulos recently finished up a four-year stint at Lake Forest High School where she was an all-state selection all four years. She led her team to a third-place state finish her freshman year, state runner-up finishes her sophomore and junior years and third place her senior year. She was also ranked as high as 78th nationally in singles and seventh in doubles.

Lambropoulos said she met all of the women on the team before coming here and chose Illinois because everyone on the team is striving so hard to improve.

“I looked at a lot of Big Ten schools and I liked U of I by far the most because the team seemed dedicated to get better and I liked the atmosphere of the campus.”

Not only does Lambropoulos bring her skills to the team, but she brightens up practices with her energy.

“She’s so goofy, yet so serious on the court. She’s exactly what we needed,” Dasso said.

Graetz said she always makes everyone else on the team laugh.

“She’s just so funny,” Graetz said.

Lambropoulos said her transition to the college level was more like going from junior tennis to college tennis because high school tennis only lasts two months and is not very competitive until state competition.

“It’s different because I am not only winning for myself but I am playing for the team,” she said. “I hope that in one of my four years I’ll qualify for the NCAA in singles and doubles, but I think it would be cooler for Illinois to play in the NCAAs rather than me individually.”

A Chicago MVP

McCarthy joins the Illini after four years of varsity tennis at Mother McAuley High School in Chicago. During her four years, she went 114-7 at the No. 1 singles position and was named her team’s MVP all four years. On the national stage, she was a 2005 Girl’s 18s Midwest Open Doubles Finalist and the 2006 Junior Wightman Cup Finalist. She was ranked as high as No. 84 nationally.

McCarthy said she chose Illinois because of its academics and is not on a tennis scholarship. Her main goal during her four years at Illinois is to be an active member of the team.

“It is good to even be there and be a support system,” she said. “You can’t come out here and just give it 75 percent. You have to give it your all and hope your teammates respect that.”

After one tournament on the road, McCarthy said she already loves the traveling of the team because everyone gets along.

“The girls, they are all so nice. There aren’t those girls that no one talks to,” McCarthy said.

Dasso thinks McCarthy can make a great splash in the upcoming seasons.

“Annie has great hands and she is very talented in doubles,” Dasso said.

When asked if the team has met her expectations, McCarthy said, “It exceeded all my expectations. It feels perfect.”

An Australian champ

Meanwhile, Graetz decided to make the trek to Illinois after a stellar career at The Peninsula School in Mt. Eliza, Australia. In Australia, Graetz won the State Grade Pennant, the highest level of competition in Australia, won by many famous players including Mark Philippoussis. Graetz has also performed well off the court. Academically, she has received General Academic Excellence in 2001, 2003 and 2006, an honor given to the top 10 students with the best scores in a given year.

Back in Australia, Graetz played on club teams on the weekends because her high school team was not that competitive.

“High school tennis is not that strong there. The tennis team is just whoever wants to join in,” she said.

Graetz said in Australia it is nearly impossible to attend college while playing tennis competitively. She chose to come to college in the United States so she can play tennis while going to school.

Despite her experiences on the court, Graetz said the transition to college in the United States is very difficult. She misses her friends, family and even the food back home.

Dasso said Graetz is juggling a lot right now.

“Candy, coming from Australia, is obviously in a little adjustment period right now,” Dasso said. “She is in another hemisphere.”

Graetz said during her time in the United States and at Illinois she’s looking forward to seeing snow – and improving her confidence level.

“My goal is to survive here while playing away from home,” she said.

While each athlete has her own individual strengths, goals and weaknesses, Dasso said the team is lucky to have such a terrific trio of freshmen ready to step in and make an impact.

“We don’t really have to worry about if we get hurt now because we have three good people waiting,” she said.