Illini tennis team will face alumni

By Brian Atlas

For the Illinois men’s and women’s tennis teams, this weekend will be unlike all others.

The Illini teams will host the 2007 Alumni Reunion Match on Friday at the Atkins Tennis Center. Play is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m.

Graduates from the University will be competing against current student-athletes in what men’s head coach Brad Dancer called “a festive weekend.”

“It is a great celebration of the Illinois family tradition,” Dancer said. “We invite people back from all different years and get great representation.”

Dancer said the atmosphere is relaxed – the tennis itself is laid back – and people are delighted to reunite with one another.

“It’s a social event, not a competitive one,” Dancer said.

All-American Ryan Rowe does not entirely agree with Dancer, though. The senior said he is excited about the event and looks forward to hanging out with former teammates, but once he steps onto the court he wants to win.

“It gets competitive,” Rowe said. “(The alumni) will talk a lot of talk and try to get in our heads to try to beat us.

“It’s all in fun, but a lot of alumni obviously would still rather be playing tennis all the time and want to try and compete, so I think they come out, and (there is) at least some competition.”

There is a reason the weekend has been described as festive and a celebration. After the players-alumni matches, which are open to the public, the Varsity “I” Association will host a special party for the athletes and alumni.

“Alumni weekend is my favorite weekend this fall,” said women’s tennis coach Michelle Dasso in a press release. “It is always extremely special to welcome the Illini family back and get a chance to spend time with the many great former student-athletes.”

Billy Heiser added that “it’s a lot of fun because we get to see the older guys who we all look up to and consider family.”

Dasso agreed.

“(The get together) also is beneficial for our current team to hear the alums’ advice, perspective and stories on their past experiences at Illinois,” Dasso said in a press release Wednesday.

Alumni from throughout Illini tennis history will be in attendance, including Stephen Hill, who graduated more than 50 years ago in 1955.

“Our freshmen will meet a lot of our alumni and (spend time) with them and will bring them into the family,” Rowe said. “That’s obviously very important to keep that connection through every generation on every team.”