Illini fall prey to feisty Hawkeyes

By Mike Theodore

The Illini traveled to Iowa City, Iowa, looking for their sixth straight victory and bowl eligibility, but what they found was a Hawkeye team that controlled the clock, converted its third downs and came up with a crucial interception on the goal line in the fourth quarter.

Iowa outlasted Illinois 10-6 and dropped the Illini from both national polls.

“I think we all knew it was going to be hard to maintain the level we’ve been playing,” head coach Ron Zook said.

“That was probably as devastated a locker room as maybe I’ve ever been in after a loss, which I think is good; it means it is important to them,” Zook added.

graphic

photo DI multimedia

photo

audio

Iowa ends streak

Click to view an audio slideshow of the game.

Zook inserted quarterback Eddie McGee in the fourth quarter but the redshirt freshman was unable to bring the Illini back.

Trailing 10-6 with 2:28 remaining in the game, McGee started the Illinois drive at his own 29-yard line. He hooked up with Arrelious Benn twice and led the Orange and Blue 60 yards to the Hawkeye 11-yard line.

On second-and-9 with two timeouts and 1:21 remaining McGee fired a pass toward the end zone, but linebacker Brett Greenwood intercepted the throw to seal Iowa’s first Big Ten victory.

“Hats off to Iowa’s defense for how they came about and forced us into some turnovers,” offensive coordinator Mike Locksley said.

Earlier in the quarter McGee found a streaking Joe Morgan in the quarterback’s first series for 83 yards and a touchdown, but a penalty negated the play and took the Illini’s six points off the board.

The Illini were flagged because tight end Michael Hoomanawanui was covered up by the outside receiver, making him an ineligible receiver downfield.

“That’s obviously our fault as coaches to get our guys to understand the referee’s signals to understand when you’re on or when you are off (the line of scrimmage),” Locksley said.

In the third quarter with the Illini leading 6-3 the Hawkeyes were flagged for illegal formation on third-and-2 at the Illinois 15-yard line.

The Illini accepted the penalty to force the Hawkeyes into a third and 14 from the Illinois 20-yard line.

Iowa quarterback Jake Christensen then found Brandon Myers for the lone touchdown of the game and put the Hawkeyes on top for good.

The Illini offense had a chance in the third quarter when starting quarterback Juice Williams led the team to a first-and-goal situation from the Hawkeye’s 2-yard line.

But the Iowa defense made a stand and forced the Illini to settle for their second field goal of the game.

The Hawkeye’s offense dominated the time of possession and allowed the Illinois offense just four series in the first half.

Iowa converted 10 of 17 third downs and ran 17 more plays than the Illini.

“I was concerned about energy levels,” Zook said. “The last two weeks we expounded a lot of energy and that was pretty evident on defense. We couldn’t get them off the field on third down and when that happens usually it’s going to be a long afternoon,” he added.