Mendenhall sets Illini record as offense rolls

By Mike Theodore

MINNEAPOLIS – As far as offensive performances go, the Illini put on a show.

The Illini offense assaulted Minnesota in the Metrodome to notch its seventh victory of the year. Illinois racked up 44 points and amounted 655 yards of total offense.

Running back Rashard Mendenhall continued his dominant play and broke into the record books. His two rushing touchdowns gave him 16 total touchdowns on the season, breaking Howard Griffith’s mark of 15 set in 1990.

“I called (Mendenhall) in before the Big Ten meetings and I said, ‘Rashard, I’m going to put a little pressure on you, and I’m going to make a statement. If you have the kind of year like I know you can have, then we have a chance to have a special year.’ And I said I don’t want to say it if it’s going to put too much pressure on you. And he said, ‘Coach, that’s what I want,'” head coach Ron Zook said.

Mendenhall carried the ball 17 times and averaged 11.8 yards per carry for 201 yards. Saturday night marked the second time this season Mendenhall rushed for more than 200 yards in a game. On the season he has 1,314 rushing yards, which is 16 yards short of Antoineo Harris’ Illinois single-season rushing record.

“I’m aware of it and I know I’m getting close,” Mendenhall said. “The coaches heard I was getting close to the season rushing record and wanted me to go back in there, but I told them I’d rather have my (brother Walter) get an opportunity.

“It means a lot, especially with some of the names I’m up for with the guys that hold these records. I look forward to it if I get the opportunity to break it.”

In the second quarter the junior tailback broke free down the Minnesota sideline before cutting back to midfield to cap a 64-yard touchdown run to increase the Illini lead to 21-3.

Mendenhall found the end zone again in the second half on a 33-yard scamper to score the Illini’s final points of the evening. The 44-point output was the most of any Illini team under head coach Ron Zook and the most since Ron Turner’s last season.

Cumberland revival

Tight end-turned-wideout Jeff Cumberland broke out against the Gophers, tallying four catches for a season-high 53 yards and rushing for 24 more.

The sophomore transitioned from the tight end to a wide receiver midseason and had his most productive game since last season’s loss to Ohio State at home.

“It went pretty well,” Cumberland said. “You have different routes but it plays pretty much the same. I think I picked it up pretty quick and pretty well.”

The Columbus, Ohio, native was able to show his speed on a reverse in the first quarter, which went for 24 yards. Six plays later, quarterback Juice Williams connected with his big receiver over the middle for a 22-yard touchdown reception to cap an 11-play, 88-yard drive.

Reliable Reda

It was another perfect night for place-kicker Jason Reda.

The Lou Groza Award candidate connected on three field goal attempts from 47, 37 and 51 yards respectively. The final effort was his third made field goal of 50 or more yards this season.

The senior is 13 of 14 on the season and is second in the Big Ten Conference to Indiana place-kicker Austin Starr with a .929 percentage.