Women’s tennis aces final tourney before long layoff

Kristina Minor returns against Penn State at the Atkins Tennis Center on April 7. Minor nearly went undefeated in the Harvard Invitational over the weekend. Erica Magda

By Stuart Lieberman

The Illinois women’s tennis team could not ask for a better tournament to end its fall season.

The Illini competed in the Harvard Invitational in Boston from Friday to Sunday and came out with 12 victories in singles and five in doubles.

“I was pleased with how we finished,” head coach Michelle Dasso said.

The Illini were able to outplay the other teams both mentally and physically on the first day of the tournament.

“It just shows that we have a lot of composure and mental toughness,” Dasso said.

Friday, the Illini went 4-1 in singles play and 5-2 in doubles. Redshirt freshman Leigh Finnegan competed in her first singles match in more than a year but lost in straight sets. Dasso said that although Finnegan did not come away with a win, it was just nice to have her back on the court.

“She just elevates our team to a different level,” Dasso said.

Sophomore Kristina Minor and freshman Marisa Lambropoulos had highly contested singles matches, both winning in tiebreakers.

On day two the team continued its success in singles, posting a 5-2 mark. Minor won her singles match in a tiebreaker once again, while Lambropoulos, junior Shivani Dave, sophomore Megan Fudge, and freshman Annie McCarthy all won their singles matches in straight sets.

However, things did not go so well in doubles play, as the team went 0-4. The duo of Fudge and Finnegan was the only pair to put up a fight, but it still fell 9-7.

“I think the doubles points are going to be crucial for the spring season,” Dasso said.

Despite a great first two days to the tournament, the Illini failed to capitalize on their success come Sunday.

The team closed out the tournament with a 3-5 record in singles on the final day.

Fudge, Finnegan and freshman Christine Stromberg took home victories for the team, while Minor did not perform as well having had the first two days off.

Minor fell just short of going undefeated in singles play on the weekend, losing a tough match 5-7, 6-3, 10-2.

“She really has shown a lot of growth,” Dasso said. “But if she’s on, she’s on; if she’s off, she’s off.”

The tournament marks the end of the fall season for the team, as well as the end of practice until the spring season. In the meantime, the players will practice individually and work on conditioning.

“From this point forward it depends on how motivated the girls are individually,” Dasso said. “Now, it’s more their responsibility.”

Dasso hopes the team will be ready when it opens up its spring season against Florida Atlantic in Boca Raton, Fla., on Jan. 12.