Hoerr prepares for NCAA meet

By Laura Hettiger

It’s been five years in the making, and in just four days Trent Hoerr will finally receive his vindication – a chance to compete in the NCAA National Cross Country Championships.

During his senior season with the Fighting Illini men’s cross country team, Hoerr has received First Team All-Big Ten honors, been named Big Ten Runner of the Week, a Big Ten Sportsmanship Honoree and a member of the NCAA All-Region team for the Midwest.

The Morton, Ill., native also holds several spots on the Illini distance record board including the top spot for the fastest eight kilometer time in school history. He captured the 23 minute, 39 second time in Terre Haute, Ind., at the Pre-Nationals competition: the same course he will be racing on for Nationals.

“I’ve been thinking about this race for five years now,” said Hoerr about his final cross country meet for the Orange and Blue. “Specifically, this one race for the last 11 months, so I definitely have a lot of interest in doing well in it.”

After winning the entire Midwest Regional meet last weekend in Peoria, Ill., Hoerr was “just happy to qualify” for the National meet, but disappointed the rest of his teammates will not be joining him in uniform.

With the support and encouragement of his team and his coach, Wendel McRaven, Hoerr is expecting “big things at Nationals.”

“I can run with anyone in the nation,” he said.

McRaven agrees.

“He’s had one of the best seasons in Illinois cross country history,” McRaven said. “He has realistic goals and has an excellent chance of being our first All-American since (Len Sitko in) 1990.”

The 10K National competition will be held next Monday at the LaVern Gibson Championship Cross Country Course on the Indiana State campus.

Hoerr will take an “easy week” after the race and only run 50 to 60 miles. Once he returns to campus from Thanksgiving break, he will continue on his normal 100 to 110 miles a week training regimen in preparation for both the indoor and outdoor track seasons.