This year, Senior Day has meaning beyond memories

Photo Illustration by Adam Babcock

Photo Illustration by Adam Babcock

By Mike Theodore

With bowl possibilities still jumbled and conference standings yet to be finalized, Saturday’s game against Northwestern has major implications.

And for the 23 seniors who will play for the final time in Memorial Stadium, it means even more.

The seniors are enjoying a last season filled with victories, but the road to success was not easy.

“That’s why this game is so important to them,” head coach Ron Zook said. “This is a bunch of guys that first of all have never beaten Northwestern and what they’ve had to go through and endure I’m so happy for them that they have the opportunity to enjoy the success that we’ve had.”

graphic

photo DI multimedia

mouse

Seniors say farewell

Click to view an interactive presentation.

The beginnings

Brought in by head coach Ron Turner, the 11 now fifth-year seniors arrived on campus in time for the 2003 season. The Illini finished in last place in the conference and notched their lone victory against Illinois State in week two. The next season the Illini found the win column three times, but it wasn’t enough to save their floundering head coach.

“It’s always tough to go into a program and not have success as far as wins and losses go,” senior linebacker J Leman said. “It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to deal with because everybody goes to college to win, but to know the work we and the coaching staff put in, it’s really a treat to see some success come out of it.”

Meet Coach Zook

Illinois fired Turner after eight seasons following a season-ending 28-21 loss at Northwestern.

Two weeks later, Athletic Director Ron Guenther introduced Zook as the 22nd head coach of Illini football. But results did not immediately follow. After winning his first two games, Zook dropped 19 of the next 22.

But a solid recruiting class and evidence of improvement on the field left hope and it started to seem like Guenther hired the right man for the job.

“I wouldn’t say that transitions are ever easy,” Leman said. “I think it worked out better for both parties. I think Illinois would not be where it’s at without Coach Ron Zook.”

Final season

And in the seniors’ final chance at a winning season, the now-23 seniors have rejuvenated Illinois football. The Illini dropped their first game to Missouri before winning the next five games, including knocking off ranked opponents Penn State and Wisconsin in consecutive weeks.

“You always dream about (success) but sometimes the circumstances you’re caught in sometimes you can’t see the light,” Leman said. “It’s an honor and privilege to be on this team.”

In week 11, Illinois traveled to Columbus, Ohio, and upset the then-undefeated and top-ranked Buckeyes, putting the school in position for possibly its first New Year’s Day bowl since the 2001 season.

“I think when you look back in 10 years from now, when you look back on Illinois when they turned the program around, 2007 was the year,” senior defensive back Justin Sanders said.

“I’ve already got a story to tell my kids. I beat the number one team in the nation, Ohio State, and I played on that team. That’s fun already.”

Senior Day

For the first time in their careers, Senior Day won’t be the final game of the season.

“It really hasn’t (sunk in),” senior offensive lineman Martin O’Donnell said. “It’s kind of weird. This is usually our last week of practice and it’s been for the past four years, but it hasn’t really sunk in yet because we know there are still practices and things ahead.”

An Illini victory this week against Northwestern would make nine on the season – one more win than the previous four seasons combined.

“I’ve been expecting this kind of turnaround for five years now, and it’s great,” O’Donnell said. “We knew it was going to happen. It’s great that it’s happening when we’re here.”

And there might not be anyone happier to see the seniors finally enjoying success than their head coach.

“There’s so much more out there for them, and like I’ve told them this is a season that seniors will remember the rest of their lives,” Zook said.

ILLINI SENIORS

• Ben Amundsen (OL, Moline, Ill.)
  • Justin Harrison (S, Bloomington, Ill.)
  • Maurice Haney (RB, Harvey, Ill.)
  • Justin Ijei (RB, Chesterfield, Mo.)
  • Kyle Knezetic (Long Snapper, Minooka, Ill.)
  • J Leman (LB, Champaign)
  • Frank Lenti (WR, Chicago)
  • Drew McMahon (DB, Champaign)
  • Kevin Mitchell (S, Ft. Wayne, Ind.)
  • Akim Millington (OL, Wheaton, Ill.)
  • Charles Myles (OL, Chicago)
  • Chris Norwell (DT, Cincinnati)
  • Martin O’Donnell (OL, Downers Grove, Ill.)
  • Jason Reda (PK, Rock Island, Ill.)
  • Tyler Rouse (DB, Champaign)
  • Justin Sanders (S, Pearl, Miss.)
  • Antonio Steele (LB, Cleveland)
  • Anthony Thornhill (LB, Detroit)
  • Mike Ware (DT, Wheaton, Ill.)
  • DaJuan Warren (WR, Southfield, Mich.)
  • Russ Weil (FB, Minooka, Ill.)
  • Mark Venegoni (QB, Gurnee, Ill.)
  • Jacob Willis (WR, Champaign)