Smith earns tourney MVP as Illini cruise in Florida

By Stuart Lieberman

Sophomore forward Jenna Smith recorded her third, fourth and fifth double-doubles over the Thanksgiving break, leading the Illini to the FIU Thanksgiving Classic title in Miami.

Named the tournament MVP, Smith scored 29 points and put up 10 rebounds on Sunday as the Illini defeated Providence 60-59 in the championship game and improved to 5-1 on the season.

“Our kids found a way to get it done today,” coach Jolette Law said in a press release. It’s good that we can look back to the UAB game and see progress, because today this team didn’t give in.”

The Illini fought off a last-minute Friar rally, as Smith grabbed a huge offensive rebound and knocked down two free throws to put her team up 60-56 with a minute remaining.

Smith led the team from the beginning of the game, shooting 6-of-6 in the first half, making all four of her free throws and pulling down five boards. Overall, Smith hit 8-of-14 from the field and hit all 13 of her free throws.

“Jenna is a workhorse,” Law said. “I’d put her up against any post in the country and take my chances. She can be as good as she wants to be, and today she put us on her back and led us to a victory.”

Smith led the team, but she did not win the game alone. Forward Danyel Crutcher added 12 points, and forward Lacey Simpson had five steals and four assists.

The Illini reached the championship game after dominating South Carolina 91-58 on Friday. Smith, along with four other players, scored in double figures.

“This is a big win for us,” Law said. “We came out and played hard from the start, and I was happy that it was a balanced team effort tonight.”

Smith finished with 17 points and 10 rebounds, while senior guard Rebecca Harris came off the bench to tally a career-high 15 points and a career-high six assists. Simpson added 12 points and forward Chelsea Gordon, who was named to the All-Tournament Team, scored 13 points to make it five Illini in double figures.

Also during Thanksgiving break, the Illini cruised to a 63-53 victory over Southern Illinois at home on Nov. 18. Smith’s career day for the Illini and Crutcher’s contributions made the Salukis no competition. Smith scored a career-high 32 points and had 10 boards, while Crutcher added 10 points and six rebounds.

The Illini’s next game is at North Carolina State at 7 p.m. on Thursday, which is part of the inaugural Big Ten/ACC Women’s Basketball Challenge.