Brock may step in for Illini as starter against Terps if Randle cannot play

By Jeff LaBelle

Calvin Brock may step into the Illinois starting lineup Wednesday against Maryland after averaging more than nine points and more than five rebounds in a four-game swing through Hawaii last week.

But it may not be at guard, his usual position.

If forward Brian Randle, a key to the Illini’s third-place finish in the EA Sports Maui Invitational, is held out against Maryland, Brock could step in and start at small forward. Brock, the 6-foot-5 guard who was named to the Maui All-Tournament Team last week, earned a start against Oklahoma State in the Illini’s final game of the Hawaii trip.

Randle finished with 16 points against Arizona State and 17 against Duke in the tournament, but limped off in the final game with what coaches have been calling a bruised nerve.

“I’m always going to go out there and bring energy, but I think I brought a little more scoring and I was more of a threat on the offensive end during the (Maui) trip,” Brock said. “I mean, it doesn’t matter to me (if I’m starting or not). Whenever I get in I’m just going to make the most out of my minutes and do whatever I can.”

Brock is listed among possible starters at the small forward position as well as at shooting guard in the Maryland game notes. Trent Meacham, the Illini’s starter at shooting guard through the first four games of the season, scored 17 points coming off the bench against Oklahoma State.

When asked how he felt about possibly coming off the bench in the future, Meacham took a second and just shrugged his shoulders.

“It’s whatever coach says, whatever the team needs,” Meacham said Monday at practice. “I felt comfortable that game (coming off the bench), but really it’s whatever coach says.”

And Coach Bruce Weber isn’t sure yet.

“I’m not sure we’re the best with Calvin at the two-guard because we don’t have enough passers out on the court with him, Rodney (Alexander), Brian (Randle) and Shaun (Pruitt),” Weber said.

“It kind of puts Chester in a bind because he has to do so much. We’ll just have to feel it out and see what happens.”

Brock’s paradise

Junior guard Calvin Brock earned a spot on the All-Tournament Team for his performance at the EA Sports Maui Invitational. A look at his numbers in paradise:

TOT-FG 3-PT Rebounds

FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OFF DEF TOT TP A S MIN

Arizona State 1-4 0-0 0-0 0 2 2 2 0 2 16

Duke 5-11 2-2 2-4 1 2 3 14 2 1 23

Oklahoma State 5-7 0-0 2-2 4 4 8 12 1 2 26