Illinois grapplers to test skills in first home meet

By Ryan Dixon

Sure, the Rose Bowl is still almost a month away. But Illini nation can help quench its thirst for competitive action as the No. 18-ranked Illini wrestling team will compete at Huff Hall in a triangle meet against the McKendree Bearcats and the Findlay Oilers at noon on Saturday.

Neither McKendree nor Findlay is in Division I, but the Bearcats are currently ranked No. 2 in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics.

The Oilers are ranked 16th in the Wrestling Coaches Association NCAA Division II poll.

Illinois head coach Mark Johnson said the Illini’s opponents will not be taken lightly.

“In wrestling, because it’s all individual matchups, you don’t overlook anybody,” Johnson said. “We prepare for this meet like we prepare for any match we compete in.”

Last season, the Illini defeated Findlay 38-6 in a triangle meet on Dec. 9.

Even though junior Mike Poeta (157 pounds) said the Illini will have to address this match like it is the National Championship, he is confident in their abilities.

“We’re wrestling teams that really aren’t up to our caliber,” Poeta said. “It’s not a knock on them; we’re just such a tough program in the country.”

Poeta leads by example as he is 10-0 on the year and has attained the No. 1 ranking in the country, as named by the National Wrestling Coaches Association this week.

Poeta was also awarded Big Ten Co-Wrestler of the Week after his title-winning performance last weekend in Las Vegas.

The All-American has stacked his resume early in the year and believes his abilities will help him maintain this level.

“I have to go into every match knowing I can beat the guy,” Poeta said. “Confidence goes a long way.”

Johnson said Poeta is such a good athlete that everybody knows they have to have their ‘A’ game when wrestling against him.

But one thing Johnson remained unsure of was the entire lineup for this weekend.

“It’s up in the air,” Johnson said. “We’ve got so many guys hurt and sick that we’ll just have to piece it together.”

This will be the first action at Huff Hall this year for the Illini after matches in Columbia, Mo., and Las Vegas.

“This is just a great opportunity to sit and be at home, wake up and wrestle in a couple of matches,” Johnson said.

Poeta added that Huff Hall has a great crowd so it will be a good show on Saturday.

Fortunately, for Illini fans, the wrestling team’s matches are free to all students with their i-cards – a deal not offered in Pasadena.