Women’s hoops heads to Chicago after defeat

By Stuart Lieberman

The Illini will try to erase their loss to No. 9 Oklahoma from their minds as they head to the United Center in Chicago on Saturday to play against Chicago State. The two teams will meet as a part of the annual Lexus “December to Remember” Classic.

Head coach Jolette Law believes her team will be ready for anything after having to compete against reigning AP Player of the Year Courtney Paris and the rest of the Sooners.

“Each and every game we make adjustments,” Law said. “This team is going to be prepared.”

Junior guard Chelsea Gordon agreed with Law that the team should be able to play against anyone from now on.

“This game, though we lost, gave us a tremendous amount of confidence,” Gordon said after Wednesday’s loss. “We know we can play with just about anyone. From here on out we know that anyone we are going to face is not going to be as talented as them so we are going in expecting to win.”

But Law said she still needs a few of her players to rise to their potential on Saturday before the team can improve.

“I need Chelsea to be more offensive minded,” she said. “I need Lacey (Simpson) to be offensive minded. I definitely need Lori (Bjork) to get her confidence to shoot the three-ball.”

Law believes the team has yet to show up to play a complete game. She said her team only came to play 30-35 minutes on Wednesday, and Chicago State is the perfect opportunity for the team to play a full game.

“We got to be able to play 40 intense minutes the whole game,” Law said.

But most importantly, the entire team needs confidence in itself to win on Saturday.

“We’re one of the top teams in the country, but we have to believe that every day,” Law said.