Tennessee State upsets Illini 60-58

By The Associated Press

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) – Bruce Price scored 17 points to lead Tennessee State to a 60-58 upset road win against Illinois on Sunday.

Jerrell Houston added 12 points for Tennessee State (4-7), which last played on Dec. 22 in an 83-74 loss to No. 15 Vanderbilt.

The Tigers led 29-24 at halftime behind 40 percent shooting from the field and five 3-pointers. Tennessee State ended the game 8-for-19 from 3-point range.

The Tigers’ second-half advantage increased to 47-33 before Illinois (8-5) rallied to cut the lead to 48-45 off a Trent Meacham 3-pointer.

Meacham hit five 3-pointers, including one with 1:04 to play that brought the score to 59-58. But the Tigers held off the Illini for the win.

Meacham led Illinois with a game-high 24 points. Demetri McCamey added nine points.

Illinois senior forward Brian Randle injured his head at the end of the first half when he collided with a Tennessee State player going for a rebound. Randle, who averages 10.8 points per game, did not return for the second half and finished with six points.