Zook “deeply honored” to receive top coaching award

Illinois head coach Ron Zook raises his arms in victory to Illinois fans as the team leaves the field after a 27-14 win over Indiana in Bloomington, Sept. 22, 2007. Erica Magda

By Mike Theodore

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. – He can recruit, but he can’t coach.

That’s how the story used to go, but Illinois head coach Ron Zook is proving the axiom false.

Three seasons after being ostracized from Florida, Zook earned the Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year award Saturday. Zook struggled in his first two season at Illinois, winning a combined four games, but his Illini made the biggest turnaround in the nation this season, going 9-3 and earning a date with USC in the Rose Bowl.

“Obviously the reason why I am fortunate enough to receive this award is because of these guys you see here and the coaching staff and everybody involved,” Zook said. “It takes everybody. It’s a great honor. I’m deeply honored and privileged.”

A $50,000 donation will be made in Zook’s name to a charity of his choosing and a $20,000 donation will be made to the University’s general scholarship fund.

“Well, my wife and I are still discussing (which charity to choose),” he said. “There are things that we’ve always done is we want to take care of the kids and help young people. I think that is what coaching is, it kind of ties in with that philosophy.”

The criterion for selection includes the team’s results, sportsmanship, academic integrity and community service. Fan votes comprised 20 percent of the vote, media comprise 25 percent and the remaining 55 percent of the vote came from the college football Hall of Fame panel.

“This just shows what kind of character he has,” senior middle linebacker J Leman said. “People will always have a knock on you or can say something bad about you. This guy really pulled himself out of a bad situation and turned one of the worst programs around, and now we’re in the Rose Bowl.”

Fellow senior Chris Norwell echoed Leman’s sentiment.

“It just shows that if you’re surrounded by the right people, have a good coaching staff and the players believe in him that you can do a lot with the talent he’s bringing in,” he said.

UCLA and Illinois fans unite

Besides Illinois fans that have made the cross-country trip to Southern California, the Illini’s second biggest supporters have come from people wearing powder blue.

UCLA fans that were present at Disneyland when the Illini arrived, showed their support for the Illini with cheers while they were walking around Mickey’s kingdom.

The Illini and Bruin nations have united in one common goal for the next week, both hoping to see the Orange and Blue knock USC of its pedestal.

“There were a lot of UCLA fans at Disneyland who were showing us a lot of props,” sophomore defensive back Vontae Davis said. “They want us to beat USC for them and they think of Illinois and UCLA being together in wanting to beat them.”

Lenti on the other side of the camera

During media day at the Beverly Hilton, senior wide receiver Frank Lenti decided to jump in on the action.

Lenti teamed up with Brian Jodice, a reporter for Champaign’s Channel 17 NBC affiliate, in interviewing Illini players about their Rose Bowl experience.

He took full advantage of the opportunity, interviewing and getting in-depth with fellow players Kevin Mitchell, Will Davis and Brit Miller.