Illini women face tough loss

By Stuart Lieberman

Things seem to be getting repetitive for the Illini. Another close game, another tough loss. With the Illini’s 65-62 heartbreaker in the final seconds to Michigan State on Thursday night, they now have lost five Big Ten games by a total of 15 points.

“Every game that we lost, it came down to things that we did not do,” head coach Jolette Law said following the game. “The small things that we talk about every day: blocking out, diving for loose balls, time situations, executing, finishing, making layups, making free throws. It’s the same thing we talk about every day. Hopefully, it will sink in that we have all the tools to get it done because in basketball, talent alone will not get it done.”

With 38 seconds remaining senior guard Rebecca Harris sank a jumper against Michigan State to even the score at 62-62. The Spartans got the ball back, drove down the court, and 6-foot-9 sophomore center Allyssa DeHaan took three shots until she made one to put her team up by two. Head coach Jolette Law called a timeout with five seconds left. Two fouls later, the Illini found themselves down by three points. Law called two more consecutive timeouts with 1.1 seconds left, but as soon as play resumed the Illini lost the ball and the game along with it.

Law said she has never been through a stretch like this before, but said she must try to salvage her season and make something out of it.

“It’s my job as a coach to try to contain to teach and try to build confidence,” Law said.

Sophomore center Jenna Smith, who is used to seeing a lot of playing time, only played 17 minutes, as she put up nine points and two boards.

However, the Illini gave up 40 points in the first half.

“I’m not used to seeing a team score 40 points in 20 minutes,” Law said.

Junior guard Mia Johnson led the Spartan fight with 20 points, three rebounds and two steals. DeHaan added 14 points, nine boards and three blocks.

“I thought we went from playing a little bit on our heels for a stretch in that second half and they were scoring on free throws. I thought our kids did a much better job in the last three minutes at both ends of the floor,” Michigan State head coach Suzy Merchant said. “We had much more balance than we have had before. We had four kids in double figures.”

Merchant said she was just glad she is not in Law’s situation right now.

“I have never been through anything like that in my career,” Merchant said. “I don’t know what I’d do – jump off a bridge. They’ve had some close games that can really have gone either way for them. I feel bad for them but happy for us.”

One positive did come from the loss in that Law allowed her bench much more playing time than she has in the past. Law used just about all of her reserve players in the first half, who combined to scored 17 points, 11 more than the Spartan bench. Freshman Chelsea Buher saw a lot of action, as she played 17 minutes in the first half and scored four points and pulled down two boards. The Illini bench had seven points in the second half, while the Spartan bench only had three.

“I don’t know what to say at this point,” junior guard Lori Bjork said. “The only thing I can say to my 10 teammates is I believe in them and we have some character in this team and some pride.”

The Illini will head to West Lafayette, Ind., next where they will face Purdue on Sunday. Law said her team must learn to dictate in the second half if they hope to come out with a victory.