Wrestling to travel to start Big Ten season

By Ryan Dixon

This weekend finally marks the start of the Big Ten season for wrestling team, as the No. 15 Fighting Illini are set to grapple with No. 6 Michigan and No. 8 Penn State.

The Illini (8-1) travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., Friday to take on the Wolverines at 5 p.m. before their Big Ten home opener against the Nittany Lions on Sunday at 1 p.m.

“These matches are going to be tough matches,” head coach Mark Johnson said. “These people are all ranked ahead of us, but we feel that we match up pretty well with both of them.”

The Orange and Blue are the final team in the Big Ten to start its conference schedule. Michigan (14-4, 1-1) beat Purdue and lost to Minnesota earlier this year. Penn State (9-4, 1-2) defeated Indiana but suffered losses to both Ohio State and Iowa.

Illinois wrestling has had plenty of time to prepare – the last time the Illini wrestled was Jan. 20 at the Wendy’s Duals.

“We’ve had a great training time and that’s very important going into the Big Ten season,” Johnson said. “I thought (Tuesday), actually, was one of the best workouts we’ve had all year.”

Undefeated junior Mike Poeta believes this year’s team is ready for the Big Ten season.

“I think that our mind frames, and physically, we’re going into this Big Ten season better than we ever have,” he said.

The All-American has his concerns with the perception of the team’s No. 15 ranking.

“I think we’re all, from top to bottom of the lineup, kind of embarrassed with how we’re ranked so low,” Poeta said. “We’re ready to make a statement this weekend and go 2-0, and make people realize that we’re a much better team than people perceive right now.”

Poeta remains ranked No. 1 in the country by the National Wrestling Coaches Association with his 22-0 record. Sunday, Poeta will wrestle against Penn State’s Dan Vallimont (18-0), creating a No. 1 versus No. 2 matchup at 157 pounds.

One of Poeta’s keys to success this weekend is for the whole team to put big numbers on the scoreboard.

No. 13 Patrick Bond (197 pounds) might be able to help Illinois do just that. The sophomore has won his last 10 matches and will face the No. 2 and No. 14 wrestlers in his weight class this weekend.

Johnson emphasized the importance of the team’s focus on the Big Ten and national tournaments at the end of the year, but the Big Ten regular season does make “you feel the intensity in the room.”

Friday’s competition against Michigan is on the Big Ten Network. Sunday’s meet with Penn State is at Huff Hall. The Illini are 6-5-1 on Super Bowl Sundays, including 2-0 against the Nittany Lions.