Illini hockey clinches first place in tourney

By Wes Anderson

It all went according to plan for the Illinois hockey club, as the Illini beat No. 2-ranked Lindenwood 4-1 Sunday to win the Central States Collegiate Hockey League tournament.

In a matchup of the nation’s top two teams, JJ Heredia netted his first goal of the season nine minutes in to give the Illini an early 1-0 lead. The Lions would answer back in the second period, scoring a shorthanded goal midway through the period to tie the game.

The Lions couldn’t capitalize on the rest of their scoring chances, however, as Mike Burda made 24 saves while Alex Park and Johnny Liang netted goals to reassert the Illinois lead.

Brad Hoelzer’s goal with two minutes remaining in the game would add the exclamation point, putting the game out of the Lions’ reach and securing the William W. Easton Cup for the Illini.

Following the game, Hoelzer was named the tournament’s MVP, while four Illini earned spots on the all-tournament team. Chad Cassel was also named the CSCHL Coach of the Year.

Check out tomorrow’s edition of The Daily Illini and listen to the 5 p.m. newscast on WPGU 107.1 FM for more coverage of the Illini hockey team.