Wrestling tops Minnesota to move to 4-1 in conference

By Ryan Dixon

Fighting Illini wrestling continued to show the Big Ten it’s for real when it extended its conference win streak to four Friday night by upsetting No. 4 Minnesota 19-17 at Williams Arena in Minneapolis.

No. 8 Illinois (12-2, 4-1 Big Ten) received a major decision victory from No. 15 John Wise (HWT) and a pin fall from No. 2 Mike Poeta (157). The three decision wins by the Illini were from No. 9 Jimmy Kennedy (133), Ben Friedl (184) and No. 11 Patrick Bond (197).

The Orange and Blue led the dual 4-0 with Wise’s victory, but the Gophers pulled even with No. 1 Jayson Ness’s major decision against the Illini’s No. 9 Gabe Flores at 125 pounds. Later, Poeta brought Illinois back from a four-point deficit by pinning Luke Mellmer to give the Illini a 13-11 lead. Minnesota (13-6, 4-2) rebounded to win the next two matches, but Illinois finished with a bang.

Both Friedl and Bond secured victories to end the dual and the Gophers’ hopes of defeating a streaking Illini squad.

Illinois will look for its fifth straight Big Ten win Sunday in Evanston, Ill., by grappling No. 12 Northwestern at 2 p.m.