Carlwell bids teammates, fans farewell

By Jeff LaBelle

Reserve center Brian Carlwell has prematurely ended his career at Illinois and is leaving the basketball team after a disappointing tenure that saw him score just 44 points in two seasons, head coach Bruce Weber announced Wednesday afternoon.

The sophomore from Maywood, Ill., and Proviso East High School played just five total minutes in three games this year after suffering a knee injury on Nov. 30. Carlwell was involved in a car accident last year with teammate Jamar Smith, which set his development back both emotionally and physically. While Smith was charged with driving under the influence and was forced by the team to redshirt this season, Carlwell’s minutes declined dramatically.

At 6-foot-11, 265 pounds, Carlwell plans to transfer to another program after the spring semester, possibly to another Division I school. The center appeared in 26 games as a true freshman, averaging seven minutes with less than two points and two rebounds per game.

“Brian has faced adversity and dealt with injuries during much of his time here and feels it is in his best interest to get a fresh start next season,” Weber said in a press release. “We appreciate the contribution he has made to our program and wish him the best, and we will support him in any way we can regarding his future at another university.”

The move frees up a scholarship spot for next year’s recruiting class, though it is not clear whether that spot can be used for another recruit as soon as next season. The Illini could use another big man to replace Carlwell and to complement recruit Stan Simpson, a forward out of Simeon High School in Chicago, although all of the 2010-2011 scholarship spots are accounted for. Illinois will free up one walk-on spot after senior guard Chris Hicks graduates.

“I’d like to thank the University of Illinois and the coaches for the opportunity I have had here, along with the fans and most of all my teammates for their support these last two years,” Carlwell said in the release. “The close friendships I have with my teammates has made this a very difficult decision for me. I am going to miss these guys, but I feel this decision is what is right for me at this time.”

Carlwell was a first team all-state selection by the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, the Associated Press and the News-Gazette his senior year in high school and also played football, scoring 11 touchdowns while lining up at wide receiver and free safety.

Carlwell announced he plans to attend the team’s remaining home games against Michigan State and Minnesota in early March as a spectator.

“I want to show my teammates the same support that they’ve given me, so I will continue to come to Assembly Hall and cheer them on as I finish the semester in good academic standing.”