Softball team to host EIU in first home game

Makenzie Smith lets the ball pass during the game against DePaul University at Eichelberger Field April 28. Erica Magda

By Kate Munson

After playing all road games since Feb. 8, the Illini softball team will finally have a chance to play for their home fans on Wednesday.

“We are excited to have a home opener,” head coach Terri Sullivan said. “Mother Nature didn’t let us do that last week.”

The team was scheduled to play their home opener last week against Loyola, but the games were canceled due to weather.

Instead, Illinois will play host to Eastern Illinois for their first home game of the season.

“We’re definitely excited,” said senior left fielder Makenzie Smith. “I think we’re all ready to play at home.”

The Illini are coming off a weekend of Big Ten play which featured mixed results as they split a doubleheader at Ohio State.

Their 4-3 win in the first game marked their first Big Ten win of the season.

Senior shortstop Angelena Mexicano’s two-run home run against the Buckeyes was the game winner.

The shot was just one highlight in a week that saw Mexicano hit .692 and go 9-for-13 at the plate. She was named Big Ten Player of the Week for her achievements.

This is the second time in Mexicano’s career that she has received the award, the first time coming on March 20, 2007.

While the Illini’s offense played well, the defense gave up seven errors between the two games against Ohio State.

“Defensively, (we’re working on) making routine plays at all times. With pressure, with runners on or without,” Sullivan said. “It’s not for lack of ability. We have a lot of faith in our infield and our outfield and beyond that in our pitching staff as well.”

In Wednesday’s doubleheader, the Illini look to improve on their 10-1 record against Eastern Illinois.

They are 4-0 when they play the Panthers at home.

Illinois will be relying on seniors Shanna Diller and Angelena Mexicano who lead the team with .382 and .352 averages, respectively.

Illinois pitchers will be watching out for Panthers’ junior Sarah Coppert, who is hitting .364 on the season with 16 RBIs in 20 games, and sophomore Denee Menzione, an outfielder who has hit five home runs in 23 games while hitting .274.

With continued hitting and improved defense, the Illini look to take charge.

“Our goal is to win two games and play hard every inning,” Sullivan said.