NCAA bid hinges on Buckeye match

By Bret Greenberg

It’s the fourth quarter and the Illini are down by one. The question is who will step up and punch the team’s ticket to the NCAA Championships. Head coach Michelle Dasso hopes it’s a complete team effort.

With only the Big Ten Tournament left this season, Illinois is ranked No. 43. Although it is the highest it has been ranked all season, it needs to move up one spot to receive an automatic bid to the NCAAs. The Illini (11-9) will face No. 34 Ohio State (19-6) Friday, after receiving a first-round bye.

“If we can beat Ohio State we will be in the (NCAA) Tournament,” Dasso said. “Obviously they are going to be gunning for us because we beat them in the regular season, but I feel my girls are going to be prepared. We don’t want this season to end because this is too special of a team.”

The team’s win against the Buckeyes came April 13, in Columbus, Ohio. The Illini defeated the Buckeyes 5-2, winning the infamous doubles point. Since then, Ohio State changed its lineup, switching players on courts one through four, but Dasso said the Illinois lineup will remain the same.

“I think we have a mental edge over Ohio State going in already,” junior Shivani Dave said. “They should be nervous because they are ranked above us, and we just beat them.”

With the team still getting used to playing outside, Dasso said it really focused on doubles work in practice this week.

“We have to execute the basics,” Dasso said. “We have to make sure we are talking more, closing tight and keeping good court positioning. We don’t have to hit great shots in doubles; it’s all about where we are on the court. If we have good court positioning, we are going to win the match.”

Dasso said communication and positioning on the court go hand in hand. She wants her players to yell out commands to their partners, telling them where to be during points.

All year Dasso has preached 70, 70, 70 to the team. She wants her players to hit 70 percent of their first serves, returns and volleys. If the Illini can pull this together, then they might just punch that ticket.

No. 4 seeded Illinois will take on No. 5 seeded Ohio State on Friday at 9 a.m. at the Schwartz Tennis Center in West Lafayette, Ind.